London Fire Brigade (LFB) has issued a reminder to check smoke alarms after a charity shop fire in Woodford Green last night (January 16). 

Part of the Hopskotch Children's Trust shop, which has flats above it in Chigwell Road, was damaged as a result of the blaze.  

One woman, who managed to leave before the LFB arrived, was treated for smoke inhalation but no other injuries were reported. 

The cause of the fire was accidental, with the LFB saying it was due to combustible items being placed too close to a heat source. 

Fire investigators later found that the shop had no working smoke alarms. 

An LFB spokesperson said: “This incident is a timely reminder to ensure you have working smoke alarms. You should have working smoke alarms in every room where a fire can start, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen and the bathroom. They should be tested regularly.” 

A total of four fire engines and around 25 firefighters attended after the LFB received a call at 7.04pm, with the incident over by 8.01pm. 

Crews from Chingford, Walthamstow, Woodford and Hainault fire stations were at the scene.