Woodford Green’s Megan McKenna wins The X Factor: Celebrity as former Chigwell stage school principal cheers her on
- Credit: ITV
Reality television star Megan McKenna has made Woodford Green proud after winning the debut series of ITV’s The X Factor: Celebrity.
The 27-year-old star of Celebrity Big Brother and The Only Way is Essex got her start as a Stagecoach Chigwell pupil at the age of nine.
She was cheered on by her old principal Suzanna Barnes who watched her former pupil take the top prize.
As a result of winning the series Megan secured a recording contract with Simon Cowell's record label Syco when she beat The Chase quizzer Jenny Ryan, girl band V5 and twins Max and Harvey to be crowned the winner.
Megan won more than 46pc of the total vote and her emotional performance of Everything But You got a standing ovation from the judges Simon Cowell, Nicole Scherzinger and Louis Walsh.
You may also want to watch:
Megan attended Stagecoach Chigwell's theatre school for three years, during which she starred in the theatre production of Grease as main character Sandy.
Principal Suzanna said: "Megan started as a shy individual but she always demonstrated a passion for singing. Stagecoach provided a safe environment for her to gain confidence and nurture her gift for singing; she went on to represent the school in local competitions.
- 1 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 2 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 4 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 5 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 6 Welcome to Chadwell Heath Spartans, a true family football club
- 7 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 8 Calls to extend school streets consultation
- 9 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
"I'm delighted that her resilience and grit have given her tools succeed."