Wanstead Players to bring Resoration era theatre to life at Ilford’s Kenneth More Theatre
- Credit: Brian Seaton
Restoration actresses were often treated no better than performing bears.
After years of suppression, Charles II reopened theatres and allowed women on stage for the first time.
Both in front of audiences and behind the curtain, they were horribly objectified and exploited.
Between each other, ambition and camaraderie mixed to produce both tight bonds and vicious rivalries.
An April de Angelis play coming to Cowan Studio at the Kenneth More Theatre in Ilford at the end of the month promises both laughs and tears.
You may also want to watch:
Exploring this twisty dynamic from the women's point of view, Playhouse Creatures follows actresses sticking up for their rights and demanding better payment.
Performances will be 7.30 pm Thursday, May 23 through Saturday, May 25 with a signed matinee performance 3pm Saturday, May 25.
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 4 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 5 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 6 Welcome to Chadwell Heath Spartans, a true family football club
- 7 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 8 Calls to extend school streets consultation
- 9 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
Tickets are £12 for adults and £11 for concessions. They can be purchased at the Kenneth More Theatre Box office at 020 8553 4466 and online at www.kmtheatre.co.uk.