Wanstead Players to bring Resoration era theatre to life at Ilford’s Kenneth More Theatre
- Credit: Brian Seaton
Restoration actresses were often treated no better than performing bears.
After years of suppression, Charles II reopened theatres and allowed women on stage for the first time.
Both in front of audiences and behind the curtain, they were horribly objectified and exploited.
Between each other, ambition and camaraderie mixed to produce both tight bonds and vicious rivalries.
An April de Angelis play coming to Cowan Studio at the Kenneth More Theatre in Ilford at the end of the month promises both laughs and tears.
You may also want to watch:
Exploring this twisty dynamic from the women's point of view, Playhouse Creatures follows actresses sticking up for their rights and demanding better payment.
Performances will be 7.30 pm Thursday, May 23 through Saturday, May 25 with a signed matinee performance 3pm Saturday, May 25.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 3 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 4 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 5 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 7 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 8 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 9 Counsellor offers group therapy for fellow parents grieving loss of child
- 10 Redbridge parents' group donates more laptops to schools
Tickets are £12 for adults and £11 for concessions. They can be purchased at the Kenneth More Theatre Box office at 020 8553 4466 and online at www.kmtheatre.co.uk.