West Ham defender Craig Dawson wants a lengthy run in the FA Cup
- Credit: PA
Craig Dawson wants to use West Ham United’s Emirates FA Cup third round win at Stockport County as the launchpad for a lengthy run in the competition.
Dawson struck late with his first goal in Claret & Blue to settle a keenly-fought tie on a filthy night in the north west, giving the Hammers the reward of a home fourth round clash against Doncaster Rovers.
The experienced defender, who began his career not far away from Edgeley Park at local rivals Rochdale, was pleased to make his mark – particularly as his winner ensured his team made full use of a third straight clean sheet.
They were made to work hard for their victory by fifth-tier Stockport and Dawson felt his team’s focus merited the win.
“It was a tough game and the pitch was difficult for both sides, but we stuck to our task and got a great win in the end,” he explained.
You may also want to watch:
“The conditions were tough and it’s been a while since I played on a pitch like that, but I thought we moved the ball well and it was nice to get the goal at the end.
“It’s something we work on in training [the corner move which led to the goal] so it’s good that it’s come off. The lads put in a great shift tonight and it’s great to keep another clean sheet.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
“Stockport are a great side who are doing well in their league. It was a tough match for us, and as we saw with the other ties this weekend it’s not easy coming to grounds like this so it was a great performance from the lads.
“We’ll take each game as it comes and hopefully keep the run going.”