Wanstead Central Bowls enjoy success in county competitions
- Credit: Wanstead Central Bowls club
It was a successful week in county competitions for Wanstead Central men and women.
Kevin Fitzgerald had a mixed week as he was successful in the county singles beating Mark Nullmeyers of Romford 21-15 and now meets Andrew Squires, the former English National champion and six-time Essex champion in the semi-finals.
However, he lost in his county pairs quarter-final with veteran partner Paco Rodruquez 19-10 to a pair from Brightlingsea.
He also lost to a pair from Essex County in the National pairs with Paul Woodford, 17-14.
The men's senior fours team of Len Welton, Keith Lloyd, Colin Foster and Paul Woodford made the county semi-final by beating a team from Romford.
You may also want to watch:
And Wanstead Central's Ladies fours team of Cheryl Rayner, Janet Bird, Janice Fortune and Maureen Norgate enjoyed success.
They convincingly beat a strong four from Connaught 24-5 and then went on to beat a Radwinter side, including pairs champion Jasmine Wilson, 16-15 after an extra end.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 4 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 7 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 8 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 9 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 10 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
The men beat Old Dagenham 3 -2 in the National Top Club.
In the Thursday Fours, Wanstead Central D beat Wanstead Central A 24-20, the B team lost 23-16 to Griffin A and the C team beat Orford House 19-11.
Central were knocked out of the Seeley Trophy by a single shot.