Wanstead Central Bowls enjoy success in county competitions
- Credit: Wanstead Central Bowls club
It was a successful week in county competitions for Wanstead Central men and women.
Kevin Fitzgerald had a mixed week as he was successful in the county singles beating Mark Nullmeyers of Romford 21-15 and now meets Andrew Squires, the former English National champion and six-time Essex champion in the semi-finals.
However, he lost in his county pairs quarter-final with veteran partner Paco Rodruquez 19-10 to a pair from Brightlingsea.
He also lost to a pair from Essex County in the National pairs with Paul Woodford, 17-14.
The men's senior fours team of Len Welton, Keith Lloyd, Colin Foster and Paul Woodford made the county semi-final by beating a team from Romford.
And Wanstead Central's Ladies fours team of Cheryl Rayner, Janet Bird, Janice Fortune and Maureen Norgate enjoyed success.
They convincingly beat a strong four from Connaught 24-5 and then went on to beat a Radwinter side, including pairs champion Jasmine Wilson, 16-15 after an extra end.
- 1 Five tower blocks included in housing plans for Sainsbury's in Ilford
- 2 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 3 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
- 4 House roof destroyed as firefighters rush to Cranbrook blaze
- 5 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 6 London among areas where drought is declared
- 7 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 8 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 9 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 10 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
The men beat Old Dagenham 3 -2 in the National Top Club.
In the Thursday Fours, Wanstead Central D beat Wanstead Central A 24-20, the B team lost 23-16 to Griffin A and the C team beat Orford House 19-11.
Central were knocked out of the Seeley Trophy by a single shot.