School Sports: Bancroft’s team qualify for regional finals of national netball and hockey competitions
- Credit: Archant
It’s been a great week for girls’ sport at Bancroft’s School as both their hockey and netball teams have made their way to the regional finals of their respective national competitions.
First it was success for the under-19 and under-14 netball teams of the Woodford Green-based school and they were representing Redbridge playing (together with the under-16s) at the County — Essex Met — round of the National Schools’ Netball Tournament.
The under-19s came second in their group to old netballing adversaries Barking Abbey.
Both teams won five of their six games and drew to each other in a thrilling game (6-6), meaning they finished on level points.
But Barking Abbey took the top spot thanks to their superior goal difference, even though Bancroft’s had picked up some impressive wins throughout the tournament.
You may also want to watch:
Bancroft’s claimed victories against Robert Clack (18-2), Campion (13- 5), Copper’s Coborn (10-6), Trinity (8-3) and Forest (15-8) and the Players’ Player of the Tournament went to Caroline Hubbard for her outstanding performances.
On booking their spot in the regional finals, Bancroft’s coach Kandis Nelson said: “All the girls received my Coach’s Player Award as they played exceedingly well and really impressed.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 Man taken to 'trauma centre' after head injury at Hainault station
- 4 Murder investigation launched after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 5 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 6 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 9 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 10 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
“They are very much looking forward to what the Regional Round has in store for them in January in Rainham!”
The under-14s won four out of their five matches, defeating Robert Clack (8-5), Sydney Russell (10-1) Harris Academy (6-3) and Redden Court (9-2), before unfortunately losing out to Forest (5-3).
However, they made it through as runners-up to the next round of National Schools.
The under-16s had a tougher day finishing third, but any disappointment for the age group was wiped away when the under-16 hockey team finished as runners-up in the Essex Cup at Redbridge Centre.
They lost just one of their six matches and Bancroft’s saw some outstanding performances from the likes of captain Claudia Joarder, who was superb.
Millie Woods, Emilia Nygaard-Parsons and Alex Seddon-Guist were also impressive.
Bancroft’s will be hoping to build on that success when they take their place in the Eastern Regional play-offs will be played in Bedford on November 16.