McKie lifts Eton Manor

PUBLISHED: 15:00 09 September 2014

Eton Manor's Jack Knowles makes a break against Colchester (pic: Martin Pearl)

Eton Manor's Jack Knowles makes a break against Colchester (pic: Martin Pearl)


London 1N: Colchester 14 Eton Manor 15

Eton Manor began the new season with a hard-fought win at Colchester, thanks to a late penalty from Callum McKie.

Last season’s second and third-placed sides went head-to-head at Mill Road and the first 15 minutes of the game were spent primarily inside the home side’s 22 as Colchester saw one of their second row forwards yellow-carded for catching Jack Tovey in the face with his boot.

Manor’s powerful scrum drove over, allowing No8 Barney Newbury to score a try but McKie saw his conversion hit the post.

Colchester’s defence held firm in the face of some intense pressure from Manor and the home side finished the half strongly.

But just when it looked like they were working an overlap, a poor pass into touch brought the first half to a close.

After the interval the Colchester fly-half sent a kick deep into Manor’s 22 and, after an awkward bounce the home side’s winger dived in for a try.

A successful conversion put Colchester into a 7-5 lead after only five minutes of the second half but they were reduced to 14 men again on the hour, when their hooker was yellow carded for a tackle on Ben Lockyer.

Reece Reed took a quick tap from the penalty and Jack Knowles received the ball at pace, gliding past Colchester defenders to score from 20 metres out.

A successful McKie conversion put Manor 12-7 up after 67 minutes, but Colchester responded immediately as they battered the visiting line before working an overlap to score another try in the corner.

The conversion put the hosts 14-12 up with eight minutes left but Colchester were penalised in their own 22 late on and McKie made them pay, slotting his kick to edge Manor back in front with two minutes to play.

There was a late scare for the visitors when a knock-on gave Colchester a penalty from 20 metres to win the game in the dying seconds, but the attempt was unsuccessful and Manor opened their account with victory ahead of a derby meeting against Woodford this coming weekend.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder