Manor lose unbeaten tag as two see red at Luton

PUBLISHED: 12:30 12 October 2012

Tryson Goodchild and David Hanna get to grips with an opponent during Saturday's 45-19 defeat at Luton. Pic: Martin Pearl.

Tryson Goodchild and David Hanna get to grips with an opponent during Saturday's 45-19 defeat at Luton. Pic: Martin Pearl.


London One North: Luton 45 Eton Manor 19

A heavily depleted Eton Manor side went down 45-19 at Luton and ended the game with 13 men.

Missing players due to injury and unavailability, it was always going to be tough to keep up their unbeaten start in London One North.

Luton crashed over for the first converted try of the afternoon, though Max Murray missed two difficult penalty opportunities for Manor.

Callum McKie was then sent off for the visitors after he put a crunching tackle in on a Luton player but appeared to lift the player in the tackle and was ultimately shown a red card.

Luton soon took advantage as they touched down for their second converted try to move 14-0 up.

Things got even worse when Michael Eghan was sent to the sin-bin after a high tackle, though Luton also saw had a man sin- binned after his reaction to the tackle.

The hosts then moved into a 19-0 lead with another converted try despite the best efforts of Huw Levis.

But from a 5metre scrum Garth Tucker drove forward and crossed the try line, with Murray adding the conversion to reduce the arrears to 19-7 at the break.

The second half was only five minutes old when Luton extended their advantage with their fourth bonus-point winning try.

A further score followed for the hosts after making the most of a quickly taken penalty for a simple try under the posts.

Manor improved and duly reduced the deficit after Chris Jones found Eghan on the wing, who powered down the line and through an attempted tackle for a superb individual 65m try, with Murray adding the extras from out wide.


The visitors were enjoying the better possession and Eghan went over again despite heavy attention from the Luton defence to bring back the deficit to 31-19.

Luton responded with a try of their own, but Eghan went from hero to villain as he was awarded his second yellow and ultimate red following a dangerous tackle.

That proved to be the final nail in the coffin and Luton scored once more before the full-time whistle.

■ This weekend Manor host Rochford Hundred as they look to get back to winning ways.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder