Manor cruise to big win

PUBLISHED: 17:34 09 March 2015 | UPDATED: 17:35 09 March 2015

Michael Eghan on his way to score against Ipswich (pic: Martin Pearl/Eton Manor RFC)

Michael Eghan on his way to score against Ipswich (pic: Martin Pearl/Eton Manor RFC)


London D1 North: Eton Manor 76 Ipswich 12

John Robinson scoring against Ipswich (pic:Martin Pearl/Eton Manor RFC)John Robinson scoring against Ipswich (pic:Martin Pearl/Eton Manor RFC)

Eton Manor secured their 10th straight victory with a dominant 76-12 triumph over Ipswich.

Four tries from Michael Eghan helped his side to a comfortable result, but it was the performance of the forwards that was again eye-catching.

Eton Manor attacking through Nick Cooper-Hicks (pic: Martin Pearl/Eton Manor RFC)Eton Manor attacking through Nick Cooper-Hicks (pic: Martin Pearl/Eton Manor RFC)

Manor took the lead with just five minutes gone in the match and never looked back.

From a lineout secured by Rory Moore, the home forwards drove their side up the pitch before unleashing the ball to the backs.

The ball eventually made its way to flying winger Eghan, who took off at pace and beat defenders at will to score in the corner.

From the restart, Ipswich conceded a scrum when the ball failed to travel the required 10 metres.

At the subsequent set-piece Nick Horton exploited space down the blind side and set off before feeding his supporting pack.

The forwards made more ground before the ball went through the hands all the way to lock Moore who was on the wing and he had the pace to outsprint the defence for Manor’s second try.

Five minutes later, the lead was extended further when a period of pressure inside the Ipswich 22 resulted in Eghan scoring his second of the afternoon with McKie adding the extras to make it 19-0 after 15 minutes.

The winger’s hat-trick was completed in just the 23rd minute when Horton found Eghan in space after a break from the back of the scrum on halfway, with the speedster doing the rest.

Eghan nearly had another try but was held up on the line. From the resulting scrum, Manor drove over the Ipswich line for Garth Tucker to touch down while the extras from McKie’s boot made it 31-0 with 11 minutes remaining in the half.

The hosts increased their lead further before the break as converted tries from John Robinson and Eghan sent them into the break leading 45-0.

Manor started the second half in similar fashion, when Peter Bicknell crossed after good work from subs Nick Cooper-Hicks and Reece Reed with just three minutes played after the break.

The forwards were in imperious form throughout the match and proved it again as their grunt work set up Reed to skip around three tackles to score, with McKie converting to make it 59-0.

After 57 minutes of play, Ipswich finally got themselves on the scoresheet but at that point it was little more than a consolation effort.

Jack Tovey grabbed his only try of the match when he was fed by Horton 25 metres out and beat three defenders, while McKie’s kick made it 66-5 with 20 minutes remaining.

Ipswich added their second try of the game before two late tries from Bicknell rounded out the scoring with the result keeping Manor well on tails of table-topping Colchester.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder