London One North: Eton Manor head coach Jamie Connors pleased with fitness of his players in rout over Fullerians

PUBLISHED: 17:00 28 September 2016

Eton Manor's Rory Moore tackles a Fullerians opponent with Matt Oaks supporting (pic: Martin Pearl).

Eton Manor's Rory Moore tackles a Fullerians opponent with Matt Oaks supporting (pic: Martin Pearl).


Ollie Phillips scored five tries at the weekend and New Wilderness head coach hopes to see him continue his good form

Eton Manor head coach Jamie Connors is hoping to see Ollie Phillips get plenty more of the ball in recent weeks.

The winger helped himself to five tries on Saturday as the New Wilderness outfit won 75-14 at Fullerians in the London One North.

Reed Reece and Max Murray bagged braces before Misiona Evagelia and Nick Sheppard got in on the act late on.

“This is Ollie’s first season. There are a few new boys we have playing this year. He was definitely clinical,” said Connors.

“He is fast and a quick boy. I don’t think we have had a faster winger at Eton Manor and we just need to get him on the ball in space and it looks like he’ll do the business for us.”

Manor scored 11 tries on Saturday, although only led 21-14 at half time after Fullerians had taken an early lead.

Connors was happy with the response of his players, adding: “We were probably a bit slow out of the blocks and it took us a while to get into the game.

“They threw their big forwards quite early and tested us a little bit. It took us a little while to get on top of them. I thought the last 20 minutes of the first half we were all over them and couldn’t quite finish off.

“That was a bit frustrating because we could have put them to bed then, but they tired pretty quickly. Our fitness held us in pretty good stead in that second half.”

Manor’s victory was achieved without Michael Eghan, another talented winger, who was missing due to injury.

He was ruled out of the whole of last season after suffering a broken leg in March 2015, but should return shortly.

Connors added: “Michael rolled his ankle against Chingford. Not the ankle he broke but the other one so he hasn’t been with us for the last two weeks.

“He might be back this week. He had a bit of a rolled ankle on hard ground so nothing too serious. We’re hoping he might be back this Saturday or certainly the week after.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder