London One North: Eton Manor beat Letchworth Garden City in thriller at Legends Lane

PUBLISHED: 17:30 25 October 2016

Eton Manor winger Ollie Phillips sprints past a Letchworth Garden City opponent on his way to scoring (pic: Martin Pearl).

Eton Manor winger Ollie Phillips sprints past a Letchworth Garden City opponent on his way to scoring (pic: Martin Pearl).


Impressive blend of defence and attack results in Jamie Connors squad earning more success in the division

Eton Manor's Matt Oaks tries to bring down a Letchworth Garden City opponent (pic: Martin Pearl).Eton Manor's Matt Oaks tries to bring down a Letchworth Garden City opponent (pic: Martin Pearl).

Eton Manor edged a thrilling London One North contest at Letchworth Garden City on Saturday to register a fourth victory of the campaign.

Jamie Connors side had a healthy lead at half time and although they only had 13 men towards the conclusion of the game, they held on to win 33-22.

Letchworth made a strong start and eventually took the lead after 10 minutes, but the conversion was missed.

The hosts continued to push, although Manor were defending strongly and hit back just four minutes later.

Andrew Connors broke through three tackles before passing to Ollie Phillips and the fit again winger sprinted from inside his own half across the line.

Nicky Sheppard added the extras with a difficult kick to give Manor the lead, but they weren’t content with that.

Luigi Martelletti was the winger to profit from more good work at the ruck and rounded his man to score the visitors second try.

Sheppard’s conversion wasn’t successful this time, but with 22 minutes played Manor led 12-5.

In this end-to-end contest Letchworth immediately went on the attack and eventually crossed the line to level the scores after adding the extras.

This boosted the confidence of the hosts and they very nearly went ahead, but Nick Horton and Phillips prevented what would have been a spectacular try.

A couple of sin-bins handed Manor a numerical advantage as Letchworth were reduced to 13 men before the break.

And Connors team made the most of it with captain Tryson Goodchild peeling off the back of the maul to go over.

Sheppard kicked the conversion this time and Manor were 19-12 up with just a few minutes of the first half remaining.

There was still time for them to add a bonus point score when Freddie Hatton darted through a gap before setting up Sheppard, who sprinted over before adding the extras as the visitors led by 14 points at the break.

Letchworth reduced the arrears with a penalty early in the second half before Manor soon got back among the tries.

Damian Horton barrelled his way over despite having three opposition defenders in close proximity after good play initially by Hatton.

Sheppard was successful with his kick and Manor were winning 33-15 with 20 minutes of the second half left.

The hosts tried immediately to reduce the deficit, but an excellent tackle from Horton prevented a great scoring opportunity.

Manor wasted a good chance to add to their tally when Phillips was stopped short of the line and the next pass was misplaced.

And Letchworth did get a try back soon after and with the conversion successful, trailed by just 11 points with quarter of an hour remaining.

Yellow cards to Misiona Evagelia and Rory Moore didn’t help the visitors cause who were now defending desperately.

Even though they were without two key players, Connors watched his team hold on and earn an excellent five-point success and remain sixth in the table.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder