Essex Spitfire League Two Ilford Wanderers 72 Phantoms 12

PUBLISHED: 12:11 23 September 2010

Ilford Wanderers Rugby Chris Smith

Ilford Wanderers Rugby Chris Smith


Essex Spitfire League Two

Essex Spitfire League Two

Ilford Wanderers 72

Phantoms 12

A LIVELY performance from a youthful Ilford Wanderers proved too hot to handle for Phantoms on Saturday.

Good handling and some great running lines by the young Ilford back line, which has an average age of 22, set the trend for the afternoon and led to comfortable win, with 25 points being scored by Harry Watson.

A lively start to the match soon led to a try out wide on the left by winger Watson after only 10 minutes and a few minutes later a failed clearance kick resulted in probably the best individual score of the day, as La-La Edimuni beat five would-be tacklers to run the ball in from 50 metres out, both tries going unconverted made the score 10-0.

Phantoms then had their best spell of the game, coming close to scoring but being held up near to the Ilford try line by a Ryan Cord tackle.

Unfortunately Cord was penalised and sin binned for 10 minutes for preventing the ball being released. From the resulting penalty under the posts, Phantoms moved the ball wide to score an unconverted try in the corner.

Wanderers responded perfectly by scoring four tries in rapid succession, the first from Danny Stephenson, then two by skipper, Graham Bailey, and finally a near length of the pitch effort by Watson, with one try being converted by the latter. The first half ended 32–5 to the home side.

The second half was 10 minutes old when number eight Paul Bailey romped home to score after a rehearsed move from the lineout. Watson added the extras.

He deservedly added his third try from the ensuing lineout, the ball being moved wide for him to round his man and score in the opposite corner.

Paul Bailey fed hooker, Damon Marsons and after a series of drives from the base of rucks, winger Ryan Cord, scored out wide in the corner.

Shortly after Ilford’s tight head prop Chris Smith trundled over from 30 metres out, brushing aside several attempted tackles along the way.

Two attempts out of three were converted by Watson, with the third going narrowly past the posts, however a momentary lapse in the Wanderers’ concentration allowed Phantoms to score their second try.

The final action of the game went again to Paul Bailey who picked up his second try, again converted by Watson, making the final score 72-12.

Ilford Wanderers: Ewers, Marsons, Smith, Donovan, Bye, Stephenson, G Bailey, P Bailey, Kneeshaw, Marsons, Watson, James, Brooks, Cord, Edimuni, Le-Beau, Taylor, Hadley.

n Wanderers’ A team were beaten 67-7 by Dagenham’s second string and the B team lost 19-7 to Westcliff fourths. This Saturday Wanderers’ first team are away to Ongar in the league, while the A team host Upper Clapton, the B team travel to Old Cooperians and the C team are away to Wanstead.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder