Redbridge suffer Swift exit
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Essex Senior Cup semi-final: Heybridge Swifts 2 Redbridge 0
Redbridge were knocked out of the Essex Senior Cup at the semi-final stage after a 2-0 defeat away to Ryman North rivals Heybridge Swifts.
The Motormen were looking to reach their first final of the county competition since the 1963-64 season, when they were known as Ford United.
And having beaten Swifts in the league on Saturday, hopes were high that Dave Ross’ and Ricky Eaton’s side could book their place in the final at Victoria Road, the home of League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge.
With so much at stake for both teams at Scraley Road, it was of little surprise that the opening 20 minutes saw few chances with both Redbridge and Heybridge looking to play their way into the match.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors needed keeper Callum Chafer to be at his best to keep out an effort from Swifts’ Jack Barham, but neither team could find a breakthrough in the first half.
It continued to be a close affair after the break until the 73rd minute when Declan Hunt headed in at the far post for the hosts after he was found by Lewis Goldbold’s cross.
- 1 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 2 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 3 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 4 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 5 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 6 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 7 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 8 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 9 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
Redbridge pressed on in search of an eqauliser, but their hopes of a comeback ended six minutes from time when a volley from Barham was deflected past Chafer.
Ross and Eaton must dust down their charges quickly, with the team next in action away to Haringey Borough in the league on Saturday.