Pablo Fornals takes West Ham number 8 shirt
- Credit: PA
Pablo Fornals will wear the number eight shirt for West Ham in the 2021/22 Premier League season.
The attacking midfielder made the switch from the no.18 shirt he has worn in his first two seasons at the club, taking up a number worn by some of the club’s most iconic stars.
The Spain international joined the Hammers in June 2019, becoming the second most expensive signing in the club’s history.
One of West Ham’s first England internationals, Bill Brown, wore the number eight shirt when the team were promoted to the First Division and reached the FA Cup final for the first time in 1923.
Ronnie Boyce wore the number when his last-minute goal secured the Irons’ first ever FA Cup victory in 1964, in a thrilling 3-2 win over Preston North End.
You may also want to watch:
When the team returned to Wembley in 1975, Graham Paddon wore the shirt in theo FA Cup Final victory over Fulham, while the 1980 final saw the Hammers beat Arsenal with Stuart Pearson in number eight.
Scotland forward Frank McAvennie wore number eight for the celebrated Boys of ‘86 team, scoring 26 goals to help the club to their highest ever league position.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 9 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
More recently, the likes of Teddy Sheringham, Scott Parker, and Andy Carroll have all sported the jersey during spells at the club.
Now 25-year-old playmaker Fornals takes the number eight shirt from Brazilian winger Felipe Anderson, who recently left the club to rejoin Lazio after three years in claret and blue.
The new Umbro-designed home kit which Fornals will don was launched last week, with members of staff from Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust given a first look.
This week, the Hammers will continue their run of pre-season friendlies with a game against Reading on Wednesday (July 21) and against Celtic on Saturday (July 23).
Manager David Moyes said he was pleased to be able to get 90 minutes into the legs of several of his senior players after a double-header of friendly matches last Tuesday.
Moyes watched on as his team battled to a goalless draw at Leyton Orient, while another team at Northampton secured a 2-1 victory.