Motormen off the mark

Former Hornchurch man Les Thompson netted twice in Redbridge's win over Soham Town (Gavin Ellis/TGSP

Former Hornchurch man Les Thompson netted twice in Redbridge's win over Soham Town (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Ryman Div 1N: Redbridge 3 Soham Town 0

It was a case of third time lucky for Redbridge as they claimed their first points of the Ryman Division One North season at Oakside.

Beaten by Erith & Belvedere and Aveley in their opening matches of the new campaign, they ran out 3-0 winners over Soham Town to give joint bosses Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton their first success.

After a delayed start, due to problems with one of the goal frames, Motormen took the lead on four mintues as Les Thompson swept home Emiel Aiken’s low cross.

And the hosts doubled their lead five minutes before the break after a stunning counter-attack.

You may also want to watch:

Having cleared off their own goalline at a Soham corner, Motormen broke upfield before Thompson claimed his second goal of the afternoon.

Aiken made it 3-0 soon after the restart when his header hit the underside of the crossbar and was adjudged to have crossed the line.

Most Read

And Soham saw a chance of a consolation go to waste as Ben Sawyer fired wide from close range with 20 minutes remaining.

Motormen are due to visit Needham Market on Tuesday.

Tenants Barkingside were also celebrating after a last-gasp winner at Chatham.

Aaron Scott’s injury time goal had clinched victory over Cheshunt for Matt Frew’s men on their league debut a week earlier, before they suffered an 8-3 loss at Harlow in midweek.

And they bounced back to claim a second win in three outings, thanks to another late strike.

Chas Liddiard put Side ahead with a fine curling effort on 26 minutes, but the home side hit back after the interval through Andrew Constable and Alfie May to grab a 2-1 lead midway through the second half.

Paul Kavanagh put the visitors back on level terms on 75 minutes and Liddiard grabbed his second with one minute of normal time remaining to clinch victory ahead of their home match with Brentwood tomorrow (Monday).

The news was not so good for Ilford, however, as they bowed out of the FA Cup in their extra preliminary round tie at Newmarket Town.

The home side missed a penalty as the first half ended goalless and Eden Nelson put the Foxes in front on 56 minutes.

But Newmarket hit back with three unanswered goals to claim the £1,500 prize money and a place in the preliminary round in two weeks time.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus