Ilford Catholic first XI record impressive victory
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Ilford Catholic Cricket Club first XI (210-2) triumphed over Stansted Hall & Elsenham firsts (207-4) on Saturday.
Opting to field first, John Rogers claimed the first wicket aided by a smart diving catch from Vince Mulholland.
Guru Shrinivasan kept the pressure on including taking a crucial wicket in the 17th over with the score on 82.
Vince Mulholland's spell of 9-2-22 kept the run rate in check and good fielding and accurate pace bowling from Adam Tanveer, Shrinivasan, and Punnasamy ensured boundaries were difficult to achieve.
In reply, opening batsmen Steve Ward (16) and Mohammed Zaman (89) scored quickly and the bowlers were soon under pressure.
You may also want to watch:
Murali Vallat (83 not out) and Zaman took the team to the brink of victory and it fell to Tom Brady (10 not out) and Vallat to finish it off.
A desperately close finish at Barkingside saw the second XI (142-6) fall just short of victory, losing to South Loughton firsts (143-8).
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 4 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 7 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
Ravi Ramanuja managed to take four wickets, with Mayuran Thiru taking another two but South Loughton's Craig Scherer (33) and Aleef Hossain (24) put in a good batting performance.
In reply Ruhul Chowdhury (38) opening with Bala Rajagopal (13) made a steady start.
Sujen Sube (21) steadied the ship but the required run rate crept up, with Rajiv Manchanda (22) and Mayuran Thiru (18) taking the game to the wire with just seven required from the last over, but excellent bowling and fielding from South Loughton saw them home.
Ilford Catholic third XI (171-9) were defeated by Sawbridgeworth thirds (204-4).
Chris Scott (29), Martin Riches (43) and Louis Morgan (29) batted well but the side were always behind the required run rate.
The fourth XI (206-8) picked up a win against Hockerill seconds (179-5), with Andy Hudson (74) and Saurabh Penkar (28) getting their side off to an excellent start, while bowlers Venusharan Krishnakumar and skipper Sunny Kuruvilla conceded just 29 runs in the first 14 overs.