Woodford Town enjoy more home comforts to go top of the table

PUBLISHED: 17:00 08 August 2018

Woodford Town will play home games at Harlow Town's Harlow Arena this season

Woodford Town will play home games at Harlow Town's Harlow Arena this season


The Woods thrashed St Margaretsbury 5-0 on Tuesday night much to the delight of Neil Day

Woodford Town have had a fantastic start to their Essex Senior League campaign and sit in first position after two matches.

Dee Safer’s young team went top on Friday night after a 4-1 win over Leyton Athletic, but were knocked off a day later by Takeley.

Another terrific performance was produced on Tuesday night, however, as the Woods put five past St Margaretsbury.

The 5-0 win sent Woodford top of the division with nine goals scored and only one let in by the club which currently has to play at Harlow Town.

Safer’s team will now take a break from competitive action as their next league match is not until August 18 (Saturday week) away to Hertfordshire side Sawbridgeworth Town.

Woodford assistant Neil Day heaped praise on his players after Tuesday’s victory and the attitude displayed late on against St Margaretsbury.

He said: “It was great to get another good haul of goals, but just as pleasing was the clean sheet and the hard work we put in to protect it.

“Even in the last seconds the players were making lung-busting recovery runs to protect our goal and that is a fantastic sign going forward.”

Ola Ogunwamide continued his impressive form for the Woods with another goal during Tuesday’s victory.

He netted twice in the win over Leyton Athletic, with Chinua Phinn-Archer and Ethan Kessel also on target, and grabbed his third goal of the season earlier this week.

A strong first-half display helped Safer’s young team get a victory over new boys Bury on their divisional debut.

A long-range effort by Billy Wise put the Woods ahead with 22 played and they made it 2-0 just before the half an hour mark through Samir Ali.

Ali added another before the break to cap a good first half for the youngster.

The goals continued to flow afterwards as Ogunwamide made it 4-0, but Woodford were then reduced to 10 men when Taku Mashingaidze received a second yellow card for a push in the area.

Safer’s team did ride their luck a touch as the visitors squandered two spot-kicks – the first excellently kept out by home keeper Alex Reed.

Despite being a man short, Woodford continued to dominate and Connor Leon added a fifth late on to cap a fine first week of the season.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder