Redbridge tumble out of Trophy

PUBLISHED: 10:34 06 October 2013 | UPDATED: 10:34 06 October 2013

Eljay Worrell netted from the penalty spot for Redbridge in their FA Trophy tie (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Eljay Worrell netted from the penalty spot for Redbridge in their FA Trophy tie (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

FA Trophy: Redbridge 2 Chatham 3

Redbridge were knocked out of the FA Trophy following defeat to Ryman Division One North rivals Chatham Town at the Oakside Stadium.

An edgy and at times cagey first half came to life in the 25th minute when defender Eljay Worrell was fortunate to escape with a yellow card after a wild challenge on Lee Hales.

And that tackle was indicative of the scrappy affair on show between the two teams, with both defences on top as the game went into half time.

But five minutes into the second half, the opening goal of the match arrived for Chatham courtesy of a deft lob by Hales over goalkeeper Dean Driscoll from just inside the penalty area.

It was a reward for Chatham’s promising start to the half and they doubled their led in the 66th minute with a delightful team goal.

Taylor McDonagh played a ball over the top for Alfie May to chase and when May cut the ball back into the penalty area, substitute Austin Gacheru was on hand to sidefoot past Driscoll.

Gacheru had been a dominant presence in attack for Chatham since his introduction for the ineffectual Andy Constable.

Down by two goals, the Motormen needed a quick response and they got it in controversial fashion.

Worrell played a ball to Patrick Damali down the right side and as he went wide in the penalty area, he was fouled by Chatham goalkeeper Jack Bradshaw.

The home fans desperately appealed for a red card for the foul which looked right on the line, but the referee pointed to the spot and only booked Bradshaw before Worrell slotted home the penalty on 76 minutes.

However any momentum Redbridge hoped to gain from the goal was swiftly lost a minute later after a mix-up between centre-backs Liam Thomas and Tyron Thomas allowed the ball to fall at the feet of substitute striker James Alderman and his clinical strike made it 3-1.

Redbridge staged a late rally and got another goal through a header by Emiel Aiken from Abs Thompson’s cross but there was to be no comeback despite their efforts as they exited at the preliminary round stage.

Tenants Barkingside are due to host Guernsey at Oakside today (Sunday, 1pm).

Redbridge: Dean Driscoll, Eljay Worrell, Bostry Bansende (Zubair Haleem 46), Liam Thomas, Tyron Thomas, Leslie Thompson (Ben Bradbury 84), Emiel Aiken, Jack Carlile, Daniel Tenkorang (Aaron Matthews 72), Patrick Damali, Abs Thompson.

Chatham: Jack Bradshaw, Taylor McDonagh, Gregg Benson, Matthew Solly, Brad Potter, Corey Holder, Lee Hales (James Alderman 74), Luke May, Andy Constable (Austin Gacheru 60), Alfie May, Kieran McCann (Liam Hickey 88).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder