Redbridge through in FA Trophy replay

PUBLISHED: 09:12 07 October 2015 | UPDATED: 09:12 07 October 2015

Billy Drake netted Redbridge's first goal against Arlesey in their FA Trophy replay at Oakside (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Billy Drake netted Redbridge's first goal against Arlesey in their FA Trophy replay at Oakside (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

FA Trophy preliminary round replay: Redbridge 2 Arlesey Town 0

Redbridge progressed to the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy after picking up their first win in almost two months.

Goals from Billy Drake in the first half and Jay Knight minutes from full time helped the Motormen beat Arlesey Town 2-0 at the Oakside Stadium.

Joe Gent had a good chance for the hosts inside the first 20 minutes when he rounded the visiting keeper but his shot rattled the post instead of the back of the net.

It seemed to galvanise Redbridge who upped the tempo and began to take control of proceedings, with Gent and others going close to finding the breakthrough.

That finally came in the 36th minute when a quickly taken corner found Drake at the near post who turned and fired home.

Knight had two chances in quick succession to put Redbridge further ahead before half time but their lead was slender at 1-0.

It almost proved costly as Arlesey began the second half brighter, narrowly missing a couple of chances and having a penalty shout turned down.

With their lead looking precarious, Redbridge must have been delighted when Knight wrapped up the win in stoppage time with a moment of sheer brilliance.

Heading towards the corner flag, the forward turned the defence inside out before marauding into the box and firing home his team’s second of the night.

Redbridge’s reward is a trip to Corinthian-Casuals in the first qualifying round on the weekend of October 31.

Redbridge: Parker, Cornelius, Alexandrou, Dorgu, Ogunleye, Sackey (Smith 87), Gent, Jones, Drake, Knight, Coxi-Sebastfao

Unused subs: Good, Dobson, Ogboin, Parish

Attendance: 61


There was no such cup joy for borough rivals Ilford as they crashed out of the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy.

Buoyed by their success in the FA Vase at the weekend, Allan Fenn’s Foxes were hoping to make it past Essex Senior League leaders Bowers & Pitsea.

The hosts at the Len Salmon Stadium opened the scoring after nine minutes but Harry Matthews grabbed an eqauliser for the visitors.

From there, though, there was only ever one winner as Bowers put another four past Ilford to progress to the quarter-finals.

Any disappoitnment Fenn has will have to be quickly forgotten, with the Foxes boss conducting the Essex Senior Cup draw at 5.30pm today on BBC Radio Essex.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder