Redbridge rule the roost over tenants Barkingside

PUBLISHED: 20:32 26 August 2013 | UPDATED: 20:32 26 August 2013

Eljay Worrell scores the fourth goal for Redbridge from the penalty spot in their 4-1 win over Barkingside. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Eljay Worrell scores the fourth goal for Redbridge from the penalty spot in their 4-1 win over Barkingside. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ryman One North: Redbridge 4 Barkingside 1

Doubles from Geoff Mitchell and Eljay Worrell helped Redbridge overcome tenants Barkingside in the first ever league fixture between the two sides

Mitchell struck twice inside six first half minutes to put the hosts on top and despite Paul Kavanagh pulling one back early in the second half, two penalties from Worrell, one in Andrea Pirlo fashion, helped the Motormen register their third league win of the season.

It had started positively for Matt Frew’s Barkingside, trying to get over a 6-0 loss to Witham Town on Saturday, when the match was just three minutes old as goalkeeper Dean Driscoll did well to tip over Matt Gulfer’s attempt from the edge of the area.

Driscoll denied Sean Crossley six minutes later when keeping out his header from Gulfer’s corner but that was as good as it got for the visitors.

Mitchell did have one range finder which goalkeeper Danny Mulrooney gathered, but on two further occasions Barkingside failed to control the tall striker.

The opener came with 29 minutes on clock as he found room in the box and fiercely shot past Mulrooney, and his second was almost a carbon copy six minutes later.

This time Patrick Damali played in the striker who slotted past the visiting goalkeeper.

But whatever Barkingside boss Frew said to his team certainly paid off as they came out all guns blazing.

They forced two corners inside the opening five minutes and from the second, they pulled one back.

The delivery into the box was headed goalwards by Crossley, which Driscoll pushed away but Kavanagh was on hand to nod home through a crowded box.

At that point you thought they’d get back into the game but they failed to test Driscoll enough.

And they were made to pay 63 minutes when Leslie Thompson looked to be getting on the end of a delivery into the box, when he was bundled over in the box by Mark Doyle.

Doyle was booked for his misdemeanour and Worrell chipped the spot kick straight down the middle, akin to Pirlo’s penalty against England at Euro 2012, and past a helpless Mulrooney.

There was little for Frew to cheer about and referee Waters gave another penalty when substitute Zubair Haleem was tripped by Sham Darr with 12 minutes remaining

This time he opted for the left corner and Mulrooney was unable to keep the effort out as the Motormen rounded off the victory.

Redbridge: Driscoll, Worell, Bansende, Smith, Thomas, Henty, Thompson (Haleem 74), Aiken, Damali (Carolan 80), Mitchell (Springer 79).

Barkingside: Mulrooney, Doyle, Kavanagh (Suchley 86), Crossley, Scott, Tiffin (Darr 73), Callaway, Senghore (Cosson 70), Liddiard, Gulfer.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder