Redbridge routed by merry Millers

PUBLISHED: 08:49 24 March 2015 | UPDATED: 08:49 24 March 2015

Frustration for Aaron Tatham of Redbridge (pic: TGSPHOTO)

Frustration for Aaron Tatham of Redbridge (pic: TGSPHOTO)

TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are

Ryman One North: Aveley 7 Redbridge 0

Petrit Elbi of Aveley is congratulated on scoring the fourth goal against Redbridge (pic: TGSPHOTO)Petrit Elbi of Aveley is congratulated on scoring the fourth goal against Redbridge (pic: TGSPHOTO)

It proved to be a night for Redbridge to forget as Aveley and Petrit Elbi ran riot in a comfortable victory for the Millers.

Elbi struck four times inside the first half as the hosts were dominant and, despite an improved second-half performance, Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton’s side were unable to register, and missed a first-half penalty to complete their torrid night.

The warning sides had been there in the early stages when former Redbridge man Danny Francis struck the post inside 10 minutes before firing over seconds later.

Elbi spurned a one-on-one opportunity when shooting straight at onrushing visiting keeper Jack Avery, but the hosts went in front when Matty Bakare’s ball in found Elbi who shot low into the net.

George Winn of Redbridge and Ahmed Deen of Aveley (pic: TGSPHOTO)George Winn of Redbridge and Ahmed Deen of Aveley (pic: TGSPHOTO)

And within a minute their lead was double when Jack Stevenson netted with a fine finish after lobbing the onrushing Avery.

Aveley went close once more when the lively Stevenson’s inch-perfect through ball was raced on to by Sammy Knott, only to fire the effort wide.

Bakare was provider once more when he pulled the ball back for Elbi to slot home his second and Aveley’s third.

Redbridge had short spells of pressure and earned a penalty when Bakare felled Shane Wallace in the box, though Kacey Adams saw his spot-kick well saved by home goalkeeper James Marrable.

Redbridge managers Ricky Eaton and Dave Ross look on (pic: TGSPHOTO)Redbridge managers Ricky Eaton and Dave Ross look on (pic: TGSPHOTO)

And the Motormen’s woes continued as Elbi wrapped up a 29-minute hat-trick when he netted from an acute angle.

Francis was again denied by the crossbar a minute later, before Avery denied Stevenson and then pulled off a fine save from a Lemar Reynolds’ effort.

Marrable was forced into action again when denying Patrick Damali after the midfielder’s curling effort appeared destined for the top corner.

But the hosts made it 5-0 before the break and it was that man Elbi again who found the net when an inswinging corner found its way through to the striker and he made no mistake from close range.

The second half was unable to live up to the action of the first, but the hosts extended their lead on 65 minutes when Stevenson found the net with another fine strike, before substitute Robbie Farrell rounded off the win in style with a lovely chipped effort over the onrushing Avery once more with seven minutes left on the clock.

Redbridge return to action on Saturday when they host play-off chasing Wroxham at Oakside.

Aveley: Marrable, Bakare (Retkoceri 63), Knott, Willis, Ling, Deen (Hopkins 46), Francis, Holland, Elbi (Farrell 72), Stevenson, Reynolds. Unused subs: Essuman, Stanley.

Redbridge: Avery, Tatham, G Winn, Scott (T Thomas 56), Parish, Nougher, Gent, Damali (Belinder 82), Adams, McKenzie (R Winn 56).

Unused sub: Morgan.

Attendance: 67.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder