Search

Redbridge ready to build momentum in the league

PUBLISHED: 10:00 09 October 2015

Redbridge joint-manager Dave Ross (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Redbridge joint-manager Dave Ross (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 8450 946026

Motormen now looking to get their campaign up and running again after shocking September

After earning a much-needed victory in the FA Trophy this week, Redbridge joint-manager Dave Ross is hoping his side can take that form into Ryman North.

The Motormen had been on an 11-match losing streak prior to playing at Arlesey Town in the preliminary round on Saturday.

Ross and Ricky Eaton saw their team draw 1-1 at the weekend, with Jay Knight on target, before triumphing 2-0 in Tuesday’s replay at Oakside with Billy Drake and Knight again finding the net.

It earns them £2,500 in prize money and gives them a big boost ahead of hosting Wroxham on Saturday and Tilbury on Tuesday.

Ross said: “The dressing room is buzzing now after the bad run. To get a draw and then a win means we are really excited for this weekend’s match.

“Losing is a habit, but winning is as well, so let’s hope after these FA Trophy games that we can carry that on into the league.

“Wroxham are not too far ahead of us, they are a difficult team to judge because one day they are excellent and the next they are poor, so hopefully we meet them when they are on a bad day.”

After facing the Yachtsmen, Ross and his side go up against Tilbury again, despite playing them at Chadfields on September 29.

The Dockers defeated Redbridge 4-1 on that occasion, with Dan Jones scoring a consolation strike, but the Motormen are aiming to change that result next week.

Ross added: “I’m looking forward to playing them again and hopefully we can reverse the result from before, but it will be tough because they are doing well at the moment. We will welcome them to our place, but let’s worry about Wroxham on Saturday first.”

Motormen will be without the unavailable Timi Dorgu for those two fixtures after he impressed in the FA Trophy games.

He played a key role in both fixtures and although disappointed not to have him available for Saturday’s match, Ross was thrilled to see Redbridge book a spot in the first qualifying round.

“It is nice to get the win and especially in a big trophy,” he added. “The cash incentive is important for the club. Getting a clean sheet would have done us the world of good too because we had been conceding far too many goals.

“We only let one in on Saturday and then got a clean sheet on Tuesday so that was pleasing.

“It is a shame we are missing Timi for the next three games now, but unfortunately it was something he arranged before joining us. He had been excellent in the last couple of matches.”

Dorgu should be fine to play in the next round on October 31 when Redbridge travel to play Corinthian Casuals of Ryman South.

Ross said: “It is a very difficult draw because they are a good team, second in the table, but we will go there and give 100 per cent.

“We will try to take them back to our place and hopefully when we do visit at the end of the month our confidence is even more improved.”

The draw for the third round of the Essex Senior Cup was made on Wednesday and the Motormen have an exciting trip to League One side Southend United.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder