Redbridge rally for point

PUBLISHED: 11:26 31 March 2013 | UPDATED: 11:26 31 March 2013

Redbridge striker Jacob Cleaver celebrates a goal with teammates (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Redbridge striker Jacob Cleaver celebrates a goal with teammates (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ilford lose out to tenants

Ryman Division 1N

Brentwood 1 Redbridge 1

The Motormen hit back for a vital point to keep their survival hopes alive at the Brentwood Arena.

Beaten by a last-gasp Thamesmead goal in midweek, after a seven-goal thriller at Oakside, the basement boys made the short trip up the A12 and frustrated their hosts until just before the hour.

Brentwood’s Alex Akrofi broke the deadlock with a header from Greg Cohen’s cross, which went in off a post on 58 minutes.

But the hosts needed a goalline clearance from Ryan Doyle to deny Marvin Farrell an equaliser, before Richard Wray kept out Anthony McDonald’s effort.

Redbridge got back on level terms on 69 minutes, though, when Shadrack Ngandu was penalised for handball and Jacob Cleaver kept his cool to convert from the spot.

Darren Blewitt had an effort disallowed for offside as Brentwood looked to regain the upper hand, while Ngandu and Steve Butterworth also went close for the home side late on.

But Motormen held on for a share of the spoils to pull to within two points of neighbours Ilford, with two games in hand.

They welcome Witham to Oakside tomorrow (Monday).


Waltham Forest 3 Ilford 1

The Foxes did not have far to travel as they faced tenants Forest at Cricklefield Stadium.

Boss Kevin Lucas had seen his men claim a point from their midweek meeting with fellow strugglers Ware, after a topsy-turvy encounter.

Kai Birchard’s early double had put them 2-0 up, but he saw red early in the second half after Ware had got back on terms.

The visitors then edged 3-2 up, before Warren Mfula’s injury-time effort claimed a goal for 10-men Ilford.

But the landlords enjoyed few home comforts on their return to home turf yesterday as Adrian Clifton’s hat-trick sealed the points for Forest.

Ilford play their third match in six days when Brentwood visit Cricklefield tomorrow.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder