Redbridge hit back to cut down Waltham Forest in Essex Senior League and move up to 11th

PUBLISHED: 09:30 10 November 2016

Redbridge players celebrate at full time after beating Waltham Forest 2-1 in the Essex Senior League (pic: Dan Wilson).

Redbridge players celebrate at full time after beating Waltham Forest 2-1 in the Essex Senior League (pic: Dan Wilson).


Essex Senior League: Waltham Forest 1 Redbridge 2

Redbridge came from behind to earn an excellent 2-1 victory at Essex Senior League rivals Waltham Forest last night.

The Motormen trailed at half time, but two impressive efforts turned the game on its head and gave the visitors a deserved three points.

Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton’s side could have gone ahead early, but Bryan Kyungu failed to hit the target from inside the box.

Forest responded when Stephen O’Hara headed against the crossbar from a corner with the momentum now swinging.

After making a strong start, Redbridge were on the back foot now and fell behind when they conceded from a set piece.

Motormen trailed when a corner to the back post was headed goalwards and Harry Larner nodded home from close range.

The visitors responded with Jacob Dingli and Myungo going close – the former testing Josh Strizovic in the Forest goal.

With half time approaching a fine run by Terrell Miller nearly resulted in an equaliser, but the home custodian saved again.

It didn’t take Redbridge long to level after the break when a neat one-two put Kyungu through and he finished calmly to level the scores.

Larner went close again for Forest afterwards the equaliser while Rheo Joseph had an effort blocked.

But the Motormen, having missed numerous chances, did finally go ahead when Adam Hunt worked a yard of space and curled into the corner.

Both teams were pushing for the crucial fourth goal now with time running out in Walthamstow.

Home substitute Elie Mbangu headed over the crossbar before Redbridge have a great chance to go 3-1 up.

Joe Gent’s cross first of all nearly forced an own-goal before he was put through on goal, but blazed over.

Jake Mernagh was tested a couple of time with the match heading towards 90 minutes and Forest keen to equalise.

Redbridge continued to create opportunities and Hunt latched onto a poor clearance by Strizovic, yet his effort hit the post and the hosts survived.

It wouldn’t prove to be costly as despite some more late pressure from the hosts, Motormen held on for an excellent victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder