Redbridge go out of Essex Senior Cup; Ilford held by Hullbridge

PUBLISHED: 10:00 12 October 2016

Redbridge joint managers Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Redbridge joint managers Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Frustrating night for local rivals

Redbridge 1 Thurrock 2

Redbridge bowed out of the Essex Senior Cup against Ryman North side Thurrock at Oakside last night.

And neighbours Ilford were denied victory in the Essex Senior League as Hullbridge came from behind for a share of the spoils at Lower Road.

Motormen welcomed Fleet on the back of a 3-3 draw with Eton Manor at the weekend and kept their rivals at bay during a goalless first half.

Fleet eventually broke the deadlock midway through the second half when Ross Gleed pulled the ball back for Jordan Clark to fire past Jake Mernagh at his near post.

And the visitors doubled their advantage with 11 minutes remaining when Clark struck again from the penalty spot.

Motormen pulled a goal back two minutes from time, when excellent work by Jay Knight and Reside Coxi-Sebastfao set up Joe Gent to poke home.

But it proved only a consolation as Fleet, winners of the competition in 2004 and 2005, progressed to the last 16.

Redbridge: Mernagh, Cornelius, Roult, Odutola, Baffour-Akoto, Kettle, Gordon, Phillips, Knight, Dingli, Cox-Sebastfao. Subs: Gent, Mehmet, Good, Carter, Sangolo.


Hullbridge Sports 1 Ilford 1

Ilford had to settle for a point after an entertaining encounter at Hullbridge.

Allan Fenn’s Foxes went into their latest league fixture on a high after beating high-flying Takeley 2-0 at Cricklefield Stadium on Saturday.

But the home side went close after five minutes when Charlie Little hit the outside of a post.

But Ilford were gifted the lead on 12 minutes when home defender Joe Turpin netted an own goal.

Jimmy Cox headed a good chance over for the hosts, but they had Charlie Aldis to thank for a good save after a mistake at the back handed Ilford a one-on-one chance.

The visitors forced Aldis into making a good save early in the second half, but Hullbridge then levelled on the hour when a superb cross found Cox to head home.

Both sides had chances to grab a winner after that, with Hullbridge’s Matt Brinklow firing over and Harry Hart denied by a goalline clearance, before Sam Taylor hit the crossbar.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder