Redbridge get better of London Bari

PUBLISHED: 07:43 13 November 2016 | UPDATED: 07:43 13 November 2016

Jacob Dingli (left) celebrates scoring for Redbridge (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Jacob Dingli (left) celebrates scoring for Redbridge (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Redbridge 4 London Bari 2

Redbridge produced an early goal blitz to set themselves up for Essex Senior League success against Bari at a soggy Oakside.

The pitch passed a morning inspection as Motormen were looking to build on their midweek success over Waltham Forest and only three minutes had been played when Joe Gent raced away on the right and crossed for Jacob Dingli to fire a shot on the turn past Wilkinson Boateng.

Captain Adam Hunt saw a long-range effort saved by the visiting keeper soon after, but the hosts were awarded a penalty when Bryan Kyungu released Gent and his crossed was spilled by Boateng, who was then adjudged to have fouled Dingli as the striker looked to profit.

Hunt made no mistake from the penalty spot to double Redbridge’s lead and it was 3-0 on 14 minutes when Gent’s corner picked out defender Ore Odutola, whose bullet header flew into the net for his first goal for the club.

Bari hit back on 18 minutes as Richmond Ayoola headed in Shaffick Anolabi’s cross and they went close to a second when Joel Appiah poked wide from another Anolabi delivery.

Redbridge restored their three-goal cushion when Terrell Miller did well on the left and released Dingli to float the ball into the box for James McCann to cushion a header past Boateng.

And the hosts went close to a fifth when Kyungu found Dingli, who could only fire straight at Boateng, before Jake Mernagh’s long kick upfield was initially missed by his opposite number, who managed to clear the ball before it crossed the line to spare his own blushes.

The second half was quieter in comparison, although Ayoola fired wide for Bari early on after Kyungu was tackled in midfield.

Bari grabbed a second goal when Ayoola’s cross was converted by Appiah, but Redbridge had chances to add to their haul as substitute David Sangolo cut inside and found Hunt, who fired against a post and saw Dingli’s follow-up saved by the legs of Boateng.

Bari hit the crossbar, before Appiah’s curling attempt flew just wide and he saw another shot cleared by Charlie Parish.

But Motormen had the final chance of note when Dingli found Miller and his bending shot came back off an upright.

Victory allowed Redbridge to extend their unbeaten run to four matches, while Bari have taken just four points from their last five matches and are due to host Basildon United at the Old Spotted Dog on Tuesday.


Tower Hamlets 0 Southend Manor 1

Tower Hamlets fell to their third successive loss on a frustrating day at Mile End Stadium.

The only goal of the game came on the hour mark and was a stunning strike from Robbie Norris.

Ade Abayomi’s men will return to action on Monday night when they welcome Barkingside to their corner of east London.

Tower Hamlets: Manata, Earle, Sheymz, Oreniake, Pedro, Ikenwe, Rowe, Jesus, Junior, Adama Bamba, Akinlabi. Subs: Caleir, Joao, Rui Pina, Ibrahima, Korouma.

*Ilford saw their clash with Waltham Forest fall victim to a waterlogged pitch at Cricklefield Stadium after a morning inspection, while Barking and Sporting Bengal did not have fixtures this weekend.

Sporting Bengal were due to visit FC Romania on Wednesday, but they will now play their an FA Vase tie against Ipswich Wanderers after it was postponed on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder