Redbridge cut down Forest in Essex Senior Cup

PUBLISHED: 07:06 22 September 2016 | UPDATED: 07:06 22 September 2016

Aron Gordon (right) celebrates scoring for Redbridge (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Aron Gordon (right) celebrates scoring for Redbridge (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Waltham Forest 1 Redbridge 3

Redbridge booked their place in the third round of the Essex Senior Cup with victory over Forest last night.

Motormen made the short trip to Wadham Lodge on the back of successive defeats in the Essex Senior League, against local rivals Ilford and, most recently, Takeley at the weekend.

But they put those losses behind them thanks to goals from Jay Knight, Aron Gordon and Kieran English to progress.

Forest’s Jeff Hammond was bundled over just outside the box early on, but the hosts needed bodies on the line to keep out a Redbridge effort.

Hammond fired a well-struck shot wide after making space for himself, but Motormen took the lead with a counter-attack on the half-hour mark when the ball was played down the left channel and Knight latched onto it, beat a defender and slotted past Harrison Seetah at his near post.

Brian Moses flicked on for Hammond to drag a shot wide, as Forest looked for a quick response, but the visitors went into the break with their one-goal lead intact.

The home side had more of the play after the restart, but could not create any chances of note to seriously test Jake Meenagh.

And Motormen doubled their advantage when a deep free-kick was played into the box and not dealt with by Forest, as Moses clipped Gordon and the Redbridge man picked himself up to roll the spot-kick into the net.

Redbridge added a third soon after, breaking out from defence and seeing Gordon play the ball through for English to beat Seetah and give themselves a nice cushion.

But they had to thank Meenagh for tipping over Correy Davidson’s effort, before Moses controlled a right-wing cross and the ball fell kindly for Hammond to squeeze it past Meenagh and pull a goal back with 16 minutes remaining.

It proved only a consolation for the home side, though, as Motormen comfortably held on to record only a fourth win in 13 league and cup matches to date this season.

Joint managers Ricky Eaton and Dave Ross will now turn their attentions towards their FA Vase tie at Colney Heath on Saturday.

Forest: Harrison Seetah, Ali Shikheey, Prince Madu, Stephen O’Hara, Gus Douglas, Faisal Hematite, Brian Moses, Liam Griffin, Jeff Hammond, Correy Davidson, Jordan McKenzie. Subs: Diedonne Longaconga, Craige Dwyer, Timer Koymen, Anthony Murray-Bruce, Kubilay Akbayrax.

Redbridge: Jake Meenagh, Leon Opok, Marcus Carter, Ore Oputola, Michael Akande (Stephen Good 46), Sean Kettle, Joe Gentle, Samuel Phillips, Lee Weemes (Jay Knight 5), Kieran English (James McCann 64), Arron Gordon. Unused subs: Jack Roult, Joel Griffiths.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder