Redbridge pick up first home league victory against Barkingside

PUBLISHED: 08:30 21 November 2018

Michael Ogboin of Redbridge (left) scored in their latest win (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Michael Ogboin of Redbridge (left) scored in their latest win (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Essex Senior League: Redbridge 3 Barkingside 0

Redbridge picked up their first home Essex Senior League victory of the season with a 2-0 win against local rivals Barkingsside.

The Motormen welcomed back Remi Nelson, who left the club to join Bostik North outfit Basildon United during the summer, into the line-up.

While, Vinny Murphy made his 100th appearance for the club, and they also had to call upon Francisco Ramos in goal to replace the injured Lewis Francis.

The hosts Ayodeji Adelekan had the first chance of the match as he tried to curl a shot in but it went over the bar in the seventh minute of the derby.

Four minutes later his partner Michael Ogboin broke the deadlock as he fired a shot into the bottom corner after being played in by a defensive error from Harry Matthews.

Barkingside found a life line and it was Ernest Okoh who cut in and fired a shot well of the goal in the 13th minute before driving a shot just wide only minutes later.

Darnell Goather-Braithwaite then went through on goal but it was denied by Ramos after a dangerous cross from Okoh.

Side’s Akwasi Marfo missed from point blank range after Okoh played it across the goal for him, leaving him with a half open net.

Goal scorer Ogboin broke clear after Samuel Phillips played the striker in, but he was denied by Mikkel Breckenridge.

Okoh then volleyed an incoming ball, but once again the winger put it wide, before Ogboin tried to get on the end of a Murphy cross down the other end but couldn’t get enough of his foot on it.

The Motormen’s Ayodeji Adelekan had a dig from the edge of the box in the 40th minute nut it wass comfortably held by Breckneridge.

Side striker and Romford club legend Nick Reynolds then went close at the far post from a dangerous cross in from Harry Daly.

Three minutes into the second-half Ogboin bagged his second of the match as he re-directed a cross from Larry Asare into the back of the net.

In the 51st minute Okoh broke clear for Side but was denied by Ramos, although the winger picked up his own redbound, before being pulled down inside the box.

Side appealed for a penalty but it was not given.

Alex Goldstone’s side continued piling the pressure on, this time Awkasi Marfo played the ball inside for Reynolds whose shot was deflected out for a corner.

Reynolds then had another chance as he found himself all alone in the box but headed the cross wide.

Redbridge striker Ogboin then went close to sealing his hat-trick but he fired a shot on the top of the net.

In the 83rd minute the hosts stretched their lead to 3-0 as right-back Vinny Murphy crossed in for Asare who slotted it home.

In the dying stages Murphy also had a go as he drilled a shot from the right flank but it was denied.

Redbridge: Ramos, Murphy, Carter, Burgess, Nelson, Egbejale, Asare, Duggan, Adelekan (Scarlett 64), Ogboin (Sighiartau 70), Phillips (Turner 78).

Unused subs: Kyungu, Miller.

Barkingside: Breckenridge, Thompson, Barlow (Hornsby 45, Maisara 71), Potter, Ohalem, Matthews, Daly, Goather-Braithwaite, Reynolds, Okoh, Marfo (Amin 75).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder