Essex Senior League: Ilford 0 Walthamstow 1

PUBLISHED: 16:39 09 October 2018 | UPDATED: 16:39 09 October 2018

James Peagram of Walthamstow celebrates (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

James Peagram of Walthamstow celebrates (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

On a cold and rainy day at Cricklefield Stadium, hosts Ilford were undone by Walthamstow as former Foxes striker James Peagram sent them to defeat.

Hugo Rossetti of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)Hugo Rossetti of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

It was sixth against third respectively with Walthamstow having the better record of the two sides from their last five league games.

And the visitors started sharply, with a penalty appeal waved away by the referee Andy Simmonds in the first minute after Peagram was brought down when through on goal.

Peagram was once again causing problems for the hosts, finding his way into the Ilford box in the fourth minute, but his tame shot was easily saved by Hugo Rossetti.

The Foxes then replied with an attack of their own in the 10th minute when, after a dangerous flick on, pacy striker Yemi Adelani managed to evade the Walthamstow defence and race through on goal but Jack Leachman made an excellent recovery to catch up and clear the ball away.

Yemi Adelani of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)Yemi Adelani of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

In the 13th minute Walthamstow were in the ascendency once more and after jinking past a defender, winger Junior Appiah linked up brilliantly with Christian Owusu who returned the ball back into his path, but an unmarked Appiah could only curl an effort wide from inside the box.

Ilford created their best chances of the half mainly from set-pieces and on 16 minutes Callum Maltese’s deflected volley from a corner was well saved by former Foxes keeper Chris Clark, who made a great stop to push the ball round the post.

The visitors threatened again four minutes later and had the ball in Walthamstow’s net but Peagram’s tap-in at the back post was disallowed for offside.

Stow continued to apply the pressure on Ilford’s defence and in the 24th minute Appiah’s attempted lob from just inside the area almost found the net but for an excellent last-ditch fingertip save from Rossetti.

Callum Maltese of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)Callum Maltese of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Despite their dominance, Stow nearly conceded a goal six minutes before half time as defender Danny Haigh struck the crossbar of an open goal, after Clark’s failure to come and clear the ball from a corner.

However the Stow got just what they deserved in the 43rd minute when a bad pass from Steve Sylvester-Ajuda in the visitors’ half fell straight to Appiah who broke at speed and fed Billy Jones on the right flank.

After having his initial shot blocked, Jones managed to hook the ball over to Peagram in the box who tapped home from a few yards out.

It was more of the same for the Foxes in the second half, as they created few scoring chances.

Josh Perry of Ilford goes close (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)Josh Perry of Ilford goes close (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

In the 48th minute Maltese’s free-kick into the box was flicked on by Haigh, but the ball simply evaded everybody and flashed past the goal.

Jones’ vicious volley from just outside the box four minutes later was heading for the top corner but for the heroics of Rossetti who flew through the air to palm the ball out for a corner.

And Stow looked certain to score in the 57th minute as Jones hit the crossbar from a corner only for Peagram’s follow-up to be saved superbly by Rossetti.

Three minutes later the visitors were on the front foot again and Peagram tricked and faked his way past two Ilford defenders before delivering a great cross into the box. An unmarked Jones met the cross but could only head wide.

Mitchell Victorin of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)Mitchell Victorin of Ilford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Ellis Lentell was Ilford’s main creative source in the latter period of the half and in the 75th minute he cut inside from the left wing to shoot from outside the box, but his strike lacked power and Clark easily gathered.

As the match reached the closing stages, Stow looked likely to take all three points. However, Ilford did have a chance to take something from the game during three minutes of stoppage time.

But after meeting a pass inside the box, substitute Seye Okunlola squandered a glorious chance and could only slice his effort wide.

Stow saw the game out and took all three points, with the victory keeping them in third place, while Ilford fell further down the table to eighth ahead of their next match against Tower Hamlets next Wednesday.

Jamall Doztsi of Ilford and Ryan Maxwell of Walthamstow (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)Jamall Doztsi of Ilford and Ryan Maxwell of Walthamstow (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Ilford: Rossetti, Atim, Adelani, Docaj, Dzotsi, Haigh, Lentell, Maltese, Perry, Sylvester, Victorin. Subs: Kain, Okunlola, Oyeleku, Seaman.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder