Parker makes his mark for Redbridge

PUBLISHED: 09:20 14 December 2014 | UPDATED: 10:56 14 December 2014

Mark Parker of Redbridge (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Mark Parker of Redbridge (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ryman North: Redbridge 2 Dereham 1

Mark Parker proved the Redbridge hero as an injury-time penalty save earned a vital Ryman North victory at Oakside Stadium.

Motormen fell behind after only nine minutes as Ryan Crisp put the Magpies in front.

But Mark Nougher levelled from the spot midway through the first half and Vinny Murphy put Redbridge ahead three minutes into the second half.

The visitors made a trio of changes around the hour mark to try and find a way back into the match, while Redbridge’s joint bosses Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton sent Aaron Scott and Aaron May on for Murphy and Gavin Cockman in the closing stages.

And Dereham were handed a great chance to earn a point when awarded a late spot-kick, only for Parker to save the day for Motormen, who made it back-to-back wins following success at Burnham a week earlier to climb out of the relegation zone.

Motormen are back in action on Tuesday when they welcome Ryman Premier Division side Canvey to Oakside for an Essex Senior Cup tie.

The winners will host Hornchurch in the quarter-finals in the new year.

Redbridge: Parker, Edger, Parish, L Thomas, T Thomas, Murphy (Scott 73), Gent, Cockman (May 86), Cleaver, Nougher, Santo. Unused subs: McKenzie, Damali, Smith.

*Barkingside saw their trip to Brentwood postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, after an early morning inspection.

And landlords Ilford slipped to a 3-1 home defeat against FC Romania in their Essex Senior League clash at Cricklefield Stadium.

Manager Allan Fenn had said his side needed their ‘A’ game to take on the high-flyers, but saw the Foxes fall behind on 11 minutes.

FC Romania doubled their advantage on 25 minutes and went 3-0 up before the break to leave Ilford with a mountain to climb.

Carl Mullings pulled one goal back for the home side, but it was little consolation.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder