Motormen find winning habit to defeat Abbey

PUBLISHED: 17:00 25 April 2013

Redbridge keeper Dean Neil tries to keep Aveley striker Jordan Cox at bay at Mill Field on Monday

Redbridge keeper Dean Neil tries to keep Aveley striker Jordan Cox at bay at Mill Field on Monday


Redbridge boost chances of Ryman Division One North survival

When the pressure was really on Redbridge they delivered a fine 4-0 win at Waltham Abbey on Saturday to boost their chances of staying in Ryman Division One North.

Had they not secured that victory, near neighbours and relegation rivals Ilford would have drawn level on points at the bottom of the table after their 2-1 win over Harlow Town at Cricklefield Stadium.

But it wasn’t just any old win, as the Motormen put in a performance when it really mattered most.

A 30-yard screamer from Jason Dobbs gave them a third-minute lead and six minutes later, Danny Hayes volleyed home to double the visitors’ advantage.

Nana Asamoah then fired home a fine free-kick after 64 minutes and the Motormen rounded off their victory in some style when young D’Sean Theobald struck to secure a vital win.

Joint boss Steve Portway believed it was a fantastic showing from his side for the whole 90 minutes which won them the game.

“We’ve been improving all the time and thankfully it all clicked at the right moment for us,” said Portway.

“If I am honest, you won’t see four more cracking goals in one game than what we did on Saturday.

“They were real class, but we were on the front foot from the first minute and that helped us massively. We got ahead and were able to build on it.”

Victory gave Redbridge a massive confidence boost going into Monday night’s match at play-off hopefuls Aveley, and it was only Jack Stevenson’s fine goal on the stroke of half time which proved the difference.

Some of the Redbridge players could not get to the Mill Field until 15 minutes before kick-off due to having trouble getting time off work, but they still carved out chances with skipper Lemar Lemonius heading a Charlie Rolls corner wide when unmarked in the first half.

Oakside boss Portway felt his side were not at the races in the opening period, but showed in the second half they are capable on their day of matching the better sides in the division.

“We kept it close and that was the good thing about it to be honest – the boys were bitterly disappointed at the final whistle,” added Portway.

“We didn’t give a first-half performance like we wanted, we were very tentative and we changed it around in the second half, where we then gave them a game in the end.

“They are fourth in the league and it was only 1-0 and in the end they were playing for time. You have got to take credit from that.

“We were pleased with the second half and they only had half chances. It’s difficult with the games in such a short space of time and Monday was awkward for some of our boys.

“Some struggled to get here and we had people turning up at 15 minutes before the game because of work.”

Redbridge: Neil, Yeboah, Rolls (Laurent 46), Smallwood, Read, Lemonius, McDonald, Holloway, Cleaver, Dobbs (Hayes 46), Asamoah (Theobald 70).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder