Mixed fortunes for rivals

PUBLISHED: 13:29 25 August 2013 | UPDATED: 14:44 25 August 2013

Action from Barkingside's clash with Witham (Pic Ellie Hoskins)

Action from Barkingside's clash with Witham (Pic Ellie Hoskins)


Ryman Division 1N: Waltham Forest 0 Redbridge 1; Barkingside 0 Witham 6

Redbridge and Barkingside experienced mixed emotions on Saturday ahead of their Ryman Division One North derby at Oakside tomorrow.

Motormen, having announced the signings of Ben Bradbury and Ryan Carolan, recorded their second win of the new season at Waltham Forest thanks to a single goal.

But Side conceded six as they slumped to a heavy home defeat against highly fancied Witham.

Geoff Mitchell fired an early chance wide for Redbridge at Wadham Lodge, then saw a header ruled out for offside soon after.

But it was a case of third time lucky as Patrick Damali grabbed the only goal of the game early in the second half, making his way into the box and poking the ball through the Forest keeper’s legs.

The visitors went close to doubling their advantage with a shot that rattled the crossbar.

But one goal proved enough as Forest failed to break down a stubborn Motormen defence.

Barkingside had taken seven points from a possible 12 since promotion from the Essex Senior League, but had conceded 14 goals in those four games.

Eight of them had been shipped at Harlow and Matt Frew’s men were put to the sword again by Garry Kimble’s unbeaten Witham, who took over at the top of the table.

The hosts started well enough, applying early pressure, but fell behind five minutes before half-time when Brad Stopher headed on a long free-kick from Danny Sambridge and Sam Taylor’s low shot crept inside a post.

Witham doubled their lead on 69 minutes when Rob Whitnell netted with a diving header from a corner and it was 3-0 just two minutes later as Taylor scored after a good run.

Taylor completed his hat-trick 11 minutes from time, lobbing Danny Mulrooney, and Tom Wraight added a fifth before Jamar Dobson completed the misery.

Tim Conway put Ilford ahead at Hullbridge in their Essex Senior League clash, but the home side hit back to level before the match was abandoned at half time.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder