Town laud it over Manor, but Barkingside suffer another defeat

PUBLISHED: 10:30 18 October 2018 | UPDATED: 11:03 18 October 2018

Players from Walthamstow (left) and Barkingside (right) both walk out in blue kits ahead of their Essex Senior League clash (pic: Walthamstow FC).

Players from Walthamstow (left) and Barkingside (right) both walk out in blue kits ahead of their Essex Senior League clash (pic: Walthamstow FC).


The latest results from two of our local Essex Senior League clubs

Woodford Town continued their good form with a hard-fought 2-1 win at Southend Manor on Wednesday night.

The away victory made it five games unbeaten for Dee Safer’s team, which has seen them move up to sixth in the Essex Senior League table.

Kick-off was delayed until 8pm after the visitors were late arriving to the ground due to local traffic, but they settled the quicker of the sides and went ahead with 17 played.

Ethan Kessel whipped in a dangerous free kick and Malaki Toussaint was on hand to head home the opener.

Despite taking the lead, Woodford failed to kick on and were indebted to goalkeeper Alex Reed for keeping the score 1-0 at the break.

Reed, the obvious candidate for man of the match, saved a penalty in the 57th minute too, although Town felt this was justice served given the soft award of the spot-kick.

As the game entered its closing stages, a frantic few minutes produced two goals in quick succession.

Rhys Fatt first of all slotted home for Manor in the 79th minute after poor defending by the away side and at this point it seemed the contest would end all square.

But Woodford immediately retook the lead when Jack Grosvenor powered a header in at the back post in trademark style to seal another three points.

It ensured the travelling Town supporters went home happy following an eventful night by the seaside.

There was more disappointment for Barkingside and boss Michael Walther after they lost 4-0 at Walthamstow.

Kick-off was also delayed in this game and bizarrely both teams wore their traditional blue kits despite a clash appearing obvious.

Each side hit the woodwork in the first 45, but it ended goalless at the break as the visitors showed they were fighting for their manager.

Unfortunately Walthamstow’s quality eventually shone through as they went ahead close to the hour mark through Gebrai Samrai after a Rheo Josephs centre.

It was two minutes later when James Peagram, formerly of Ilford, saw his scuffed effort fall perfectly for Samrai to smash in via the crossbar.

Christian Owusu made it three when he curled home after Samrai’s cut back and the icing on the cake for Walthamstow arrived on the stroke of full time when Matthew Brinklow drilled home into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Barkingside remain bottom with only three points and face a tough trip to Hoddesdon Town this weekend.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder