Manford Way suffer pre-season defeat to Canvey Island

PUBLISHED: 15:00 02 August 2017

Action from Manford Way against Canvey Island (Pic: Manford Way)

Action from Manford Way against Canvey Island (Pic: Manford Way)


Manford Way suffers first pre-season defeat as they lost 2-1 to Bostik League side Canvey Island at The Frost Financial Stadium last night.

Manager James Imber was pleased with his side’s performance as they held their own against a club in a higher league.

“I’m very pleased that at the end of the game we have come away with many positives, it was important for me we got as much out of the game as Canvey Island would,” he said.

“Canvey are a quality side and will punish mistakes.

“I think we showed a bit too much respect for the first 30 minutes and it showed being 2-0 down.

“But for 60 minutes we’ve kept a clean sheet, we’ve score a goal, managed to give 18 players a good run out and we nearly nicked a result.

“I try to encourage my young players to play with no fear and express themselves and it showed we have a few that could definitely step up.”

The Gulls were quickest out the blocks within two minutes Steve Sheehan narrowly missing the target from a header after Mitchell Gilbey fired in a free kick.

Moments later David Knight then produced some fancy footwork and produced a very tempting cross back post destined for Gilbey to fire home but Manford Way’s Richard Insole produced some neat handling to keep the ball clear of the goal.

Manford Way were struggling to conform with Canvey island’s pace and energy and they looked dangerous when two chances fell to the head of ex-Manford Way player Callum Ibe again narrowly missing the target.

Canvey Island went 1-0 up inside 20 minutes when a ball over the top from Jake Pitty put through David Knight who was brought down inside the box by keeper Richard Insole. Knight picked himself up and dispatched the spot kick to the left hand side of the goal.

It was 2-0 six minutes later when Teddy Nesbitt’s ball from deep on the left found the head of James Walker who nodded the ball down for his partner David Knight who slotted home his second of the evening from close range.

Manford Way seemed to settle down for the last part of the half moving the ball nicely and created a couple of chances via striker Reece Tranter who wasn’t able to convert.

As the first half come to and end it was Canvey Island who was on top and no doubt would be looking to add to the scoreline.

Manford had a little shuffle at the break brining on two quick wingers and straight from the start it was clear they were pushing to claw themselves back into the game.

They came close to pulling one back on 66 minutes when neat play down the right hand side between O’Callaghan and Carter eventually found Wynter who’s good feet beat two players in box and rifled a shot across goal just wide of the post.

They eventually pulled a goal back when Andre Gumbs picked the ball up and produced a reverse pass splitting the Canvey back line for the on rushing Sean O’Callaghan to slot in the net.

Controversy arose two minutes later when Manford Way thought the drew level from a corner that was headed goal bound, the player looked to have cleared the ball as it crossed the line but assistant referee adjudged it hadn’t past.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder