Ilford look to push on against high-flying Stansted

PUBLISHED: 15:00 30 November 2018

Ilford manager Martin Haywood (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Ilford manager Martin Haywood (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Ilford will travel away to high-flying Stansted as they look to keep pushing on after a mixed opening few months to the Essex Senior League season.

The Foxes head to Hargrave Park on the back of a 3-0 defeat toSaffron Walden Town at Cricklefield Stadium on Wednesday evening.

And manager Martin Haywood is determined for them to build on their weekend’s 5-1 victory against local rivals Barkingside.

“I thought we had a very good performance today (Saturday) getting back to winning ways after losing four on the spin is always pretty difficult,” he said.

“We had a bit of a game plan, everyone worked hard, and we had a bit more energy which we needed after Wednesday night (a 3-1 cup defeat to Saffron Walden).

“I think we got back to the levels we were hitting in the early parts of the season. Hopefully we can push on and keep it going now.”

A brace from Lauric Diakiesse and goals Lion Docaj, Seye Okunlola and an own goal sealed the derby points for the Foxes and left Side still searching for their first win of the season.

The visitors broke the deadlock in the third minute as Docaj found the net after being played through by Josh Perry to give his side an early advantage.

Diakiesse then doubled his side’s lead as he let fly from a free-kick and it went past goalkeeper Mikel Breckenridge from 20 yards as they took a 2-0 lead into the half-time break.

And Diakiesse bagged his second of the game as he fired home in the 55th minute before Okunlola made it 4-0 in the 64th minute.

Side’s Michael Clarke pulled one back, but the home side’s joy was short lived as an own goal put the final nail in their coffin.

Diakiesse said: “It was good, we came out the blocks like we did in the second half of our last game, and it was a much better performance.

“We put the work in. First half we dropped a bit for the last 10 minutes, but overall the manager had a word with us and we stepped it up.

“We got some goals in the second half and that is always a worry when you’re 2-0 up. It can be dangerous, but we came out and did our jobs.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder