Ilford nick late winner against Tower Hamlets

PUBLISHED: 08:30 03 October 2017 | UPDATED: 08:30 03 October 2017

Ilford's Karolis Atutis scored a late winner against Tower Hamlets (Pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Ilford's Karolis Atutis scored a late winner against Tower Hamlets (Pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Tower Hamlets 2 Ilford 3

Ilford nick a late winner to steal the three points away from Tower Hamlets in a five goal thriller at Mile End Stadium.

Karolis Atutis scored in the 84th minute to seal a 3-2 victory to make it two in a row for the Foxes after trailing 2-1 until the 67th minute.

The first chance of the match fell to Ilford striker James Peagram who burst down the right flank and rocketed a shot well wide of the net in the sixth minute.

Five minutes Peagram got another chance as he was put through one on one with goalie, but shot was denied by the stretching right foot of Tower Hamlets goalkeeper Lee McKnight.

The visitors kept pressing hard and Paul Oshin was denied from point blank range in the 12th minute by McKnight.

The hosts pushed back hard with a few chances of their own and it was Wale Odedoyin who latched onto the ball and powered a shot off the right post in the 24th minute.

Montel Williams tried his luck from long range shortly after and his shot was thumbled by Ilford’s Chris Clark and rolled out for a corner, but nothing came from the corner, as it was cleared down the pitch.

The game then became a bit of a stalemate in the middle of the park, until a long ball picked out Peagram in the box who turned and fired a shot across the goal and into the back of the net to give Ilford a 1-0 lead on the stroke of half-time.

Tower Hamlets came out hunting down an equaliser in the second-half with Wale Odedoyin making a great run down the left side, before slotting the ball into Frankie Sinclair on the edge of the box, who let fly but the ball went straight into the arms of Clark.

Peagram nearly extended the Foxes lead in the 50th minute as he picked up a scrambling ball and struck it hard, but McKnight managed to get his left hand to it.

The hosts equalised five minutes later as O’Neal Rowe let fly from long range and picked out the top right corner of the net to make it 1-1.

They kept piling on the pressure and eventually took the lead in the 67th minute when Wale Odedoyin volleyed a left footed shot in off the left post.

Ilford clawed straight back into the match and equalised through Isaac Nkosi four minutes later as he drove his shot past McKnight to make it 2-2.

Nkosi then cut back on the edge of the box shortly after and put a cross goalbound, which McKnight dropped, but thankfully the Hamlets defence swooped in to clear it down the pitch.

The Foxes then found themselves in the lead again as Karolis Atutis headed home a corner after being left alone in the box in the 84th minute.

The visitors held firm for the final six minutes and sealed the three points.

Tower Hamlets: McKnight, Earle, Watson, Williams, Rowe, Odedoyin, Odedoyin, Julio (Childs 78), With (Wilson 76), Sinclair, Pond (Mustafa 58).

Unused subs: Bunyat and Furtado.

Ilford: Clark, Baffour, Akanbi, Oshin, Atutis, Gregory, Burgess, Nkosi, Peagram, Hart (Whitelock 59), Lockwood (Nsamu 68).

Unused subs: Graham, Parasheva, Palilus.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder