Ilford make a point

PUBLISHED: 08:15 24 September 2015 | UPDATED: 08:15 24 September 2015

Ilford players celebrate a goal (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Ilford players celebrate a goal (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Essex Senior League: Ilford 2 Wadham Lodge 2

Ilford moved up to second in the table after a late goal allowed them to avoid defeat at Cricklefield Stadium last night.

Allan Fenn’s Foxes went into the match against league new boys Lodge on the back of a 5-2 win over Enfield at the weekend.

And barely two minutes had been played when Ilford took the lead as Chris Lockwood’s free-kick was headed back towards Karolis Atutis, who fired home.

But the visitors responded well and went close to scrambling in an equaliser, before Ilford saw an effort cleared off the line.

Fenn’s men began to gain the upper hand as the first half wore on, with Ryan Young heading a chance over at the far post.

Luke Thomas then crossed for Carl Mullings, but his header could not find the net, and Lodge were back on level terms just before the break when a corner was headed in at the near post by Georgiou.

Former Romford keeper Danny Mulrooney denied Ilford a second goal within seconds of the restart, after Stevens went through on goal, but Lodge saw Reece Cosson denied by a headed goalline clearance from Ajay Ashnike.

Big centre-back Ashnike was denied by the woodwork at the other end, after a free-kick fell to him in the box, and Ilford had more chances to regain the lead as Stevens headed a corner wide at the near post.

Atutis was denied by a good block on the edge of the box, while Lockwood fired into the side netting after good work on the left from Mullings.

But Lodge went close too, as Cosson broke through and was thwarted by a Chris Clark save which deflected the ball just past the post.

And the visitors moved 2-1 up when Cosson’s shot from a tight angle somehow found the net.

Mulrooney tipped over a free-kick from Mullings as Ilford looked to reply and Chris Webber’s header was not far away.

And the Foxes equalised with only two minutes left when the ball was sent into the box and substitute Anthony Da Silva helped over the line.

Ilford might have snatched an injury-time winner when a long throw-in fell for Luke McLeavy, but he volleyed over.

Then Mullings almost got on the end of a through ball before Mulrooney before the final whistle went to send both teams home with a point.

Ilford: Clark, Valionis, Webber, Atutis, Ashnike, McLeavy, Thomas, Lockwood, Mullings, Stevens, Young. Subs: Armar-Tackie, McNally, Da Silva, Marquis, Paliulis.

*Tower Hamlets were on the wrong end of a 7-1 thrashing against FC Romania at Theobalds Lane, where Omar Rowe netted their consolation.

And Newham fell to a 4-0 home defeat against Basildon at Tilbury, where Brad Warner (penalty), Craig Gilham, Brad Hunter and Jordan Williams netted for the visitors as they claimed their seventh win in nine matches.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder