Ilford beat Bari to progress; Hamlets lose in thriller; Newham end long wait

PUBLISHED: 10:00 22 October 2015

Ilford manager Allan Fenn (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Ilford manager Allan Fenn (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

The latest results from the Essex Senior League Challenge Cup and the Essex Senior League

Tower Hamlets manager Ade Abayomi (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Tower Hamlets manager Ade Abayomi (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Ilford booked their spot in the second round of the Essex Senior League Challenge Cup with a hard fought victory over London Bari last night (Wednesday).

Allan Fenn’s side were indebted to a Tony Da Silva goal and a penalty from Glen Warwick, deep into injury time, to earn them a 2-1 home success.

Andy Greenslade had equalised for Bari with 14 minutes left, but they were knocked out following that late converted spot-kick.

This triumph earns the Foxes another match at Cricklefield in the next round with Sawbridgeworth Town the visitors.

Tower Hamlets bowed out of the competition, however, after coming out on the wrong side of an eight-goal thriller with Wadham Lodge at the Mile End Stadium.

It was Lodge that took the lead in this second round tie, but Sunday Wasiu equalised for the hosts just before the half an hour mark.

Ade Abayomi’s youngsters conceded eight minutes before the break, though, to come in trailing 2-1 at the interval.

Jide Alaga levelled for Hamlets in the 67th minute, but the celebrations didn’t last long as the visitors went back ahead three minutes later.

In the 76th minute they made the score 4-2 from the penalty spot with Miguel Garcia receiving a second yellow and a red card.

Lodge scored their fifth three minutes from time to confirm their spot in the next round before Wasiu pulled one back for the hosts, but it was a mere consolation.


Newham were in Essex Senior League action at Chadfields and earned a first win since August by thrashing Greenhouse Sports.

Shamrez Darr and Kevin Lucas’ side hadn’t tasted success since defeating Sports in the second weekend of the season.

But results and performances have been encouraging over the past few weeks so the east Londoners were always confident their next triumph wasn’t too far away.

That had to wait until the 35th minute to break the deadlock at Chadfields through Chris Theodore and he doubled his tally six minutes later.

Although Newham led by two goals at the break, they were determined to add to their lead and eventually did in the second half.

Vlad Sighirtau netted nine minutes from time and Cemal Agdelen added gloss to the scoreline by scoring their fourth on the stroke of full time.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder