Fenn ‘had a moan’ after 7-1 win
PUBLISHED: 16:00 06 April 2016
Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions
Foxes boss delighted with first half display and full of praise for Wale Odedoyin
Ilford manager Allan Fenn admitted he was a little bit unhappy with their second half performance against Newham, but was more than happy overall.
The Foxes scored a sensational seven times in the opening 45 at Chadfields Stadium against the Essex Senior League strugglers.
Wale Odedoyin grabbed a hat-trick while Ryan Barker-Francis hit a brace and Glen Warwick and Ashley Skeggs were also on target.
Fenn made changes early in the second period, though, and Newham pulled one back late on, but a 7-1 triumph was still a wonderful result.
“I said before the game they let themselves and everybody at the club down on Saturday against Takeley, but we put in a good first half performance yesterday,” said the Ilford boss.
“We were solid, quick with the ball and played like I know we can so I was really happy. I made three changes early in second half and the substitutes didn’t do themselves justice.
“I took off Wale, Glen and Ryan so the three main goalscorers and it changed the complexion of the game. To be honest I did have a little bit of a moan at full time, but I would have taken 7-1 before the match!”
Unfortunately it was Odedoyin’s last match of the campaign after his red card against Greenhouse Sports last month.
He is now suspended for four games and won’t appear in an Ilford shirt again this season, but the former Barking forward has signed up for the 2016/17 campaign and Fenn is delighted.
“Wale’s season is over now so he signed off with a hat-trick. He misses a lot of chances, but his attitude and work rate is brilliant,” said the Foxes boss.
“I wouldn’t change him for the world. He is a bit of a victim in our eyes because any challenge he makes the opposition scream and shout which gets him bookings.
“They have wised up to his wholeheartedness and we will certainly miss him for the final four games of the campaign. He has signed up for next year which is fantastic so I look forward to having him in the squad again for July.
“I have a good set of lads. What they haven’t got right now is the experience to give me the consistency I want, but we have a lot of young players so I’m trying to give them that for next season.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.