FA Vase: Ilford through; Redbridge, Barkingside bow out

PUBLISHED: 08:50 25 September 2016 | UPDATED: 08:50 25 September 2016

Ilford's Chris Clark denies Barking rival Paul Oshin (pic: Terry Gilbert)

Ilford's Chris Clark denies Barking rival Paul Oshin (pic: Terry Gilbert)


Mixed fortunes for local rivals

Redbridge joint manager Ricky Eaton (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)Redbridge joint manager Ricky Eaton (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Burnham 0 Ilford 4

Ilford eased into the first round of the FA Vase with a comfortable win at Leslie Field.

Having already beaten Ramblers 9-0 in the FA Cup and 3-1 in the Essex Senior League, Allan Fenn’s Foxes went into the tie with confidence.

And goals from captain Isaac Nkosi, birthday boy Dan Jones and a brace from Luke Thomas sealed a straight forward passage into the first round proper.

Barkingside manager Gus Gulfer (George Phillipou/TGS Photo)Barkingside manager Gus Gulfer (George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Ilford, unbeaten in their six league matches played so far this season, travel to table-topping Takeley on Tuesday.


Colney Heath 2 Redbridge 1

Redbridge crashed out of the FA Vase against Spartan South Midlands League opposition on a disappointing day.

The home side took the lead against the run of play when a volley from Denilson flew through the hands of the visiting keeper.

Motormen were made to pay for a host of missed chances as they went into the break still behind, but they were given hope when Heath’s keeper picked up an injury and was replaced between the posts by an outfield player.

Redbridge conceded a second goal on 69 minutes, though, as Lewis Davis tucked the ball away and despite Kieran English hitting back with a half volley soon after, the visitors could not force an equaliser.


London Bari 2 Barkingside 1 (aet)

Barkingside bowed out of the FA Vase with an extra-time defeat against Bari at the Old Spotted Dog.

Gursel Gulfer’s men had taken the Essex Senior League points against the same opponents a week earlier, thanks to a 1-0 win in east London.

And substitute Marvin Birch put them ahead midway through the second half, having replaced David Laird in the 36th minute.

But Junior Decker got Bari back on terms almost immediately and when neither side could find a winner, the tie went to an extra 30 minutes.

And a penalty shoot-out was only six minutes away when Senou Kone struck the winner for the home side.

Barkingside must wait until next weekend to get the defeat out of their system, when they welcome league new boys West Essex to Cricklefield Stadium.

Barkingside: Roach, Ademiluyi, Wright, Laird (Birch 36), Lutaaya, Mitchell, Mochalski, Nottage, Smith, With (Tijani 116).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder