Essex Senior League: Redbridge ready for another match against title-challenging opposition as they visit Takeley
PUBLISHED: 14:30 15 September 2016
©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 1376 553468
Manager Ricky Eaton says fixture list has not been kind to Motormen early on
Joint-boss Ricky Eaton knows Redbridge are in for another arduous task against a club targetting the Essex Senior League title when they travel to Takeley on Saturday.
Fresh from a thrilling 4-3 loss at home to local rivals Ilford on Tuesday, the Motormen are on the road to face another team likely to be challenging for the title come April.
Already this season, the Oakside Stadium club have faced Barking, Hullbridge Sports and Barkingside — all of whom are among the early pacesetters in the division.
And with another tough task to come, it seems Eaton is not best pleased with how the games fall.
“I am not too sure that whoever was in charge of the fixtures likes us!” he joked.
“We have had a lot of games so far against teams near the top of the table, but we know all about Takeley.
“They have done really well to get as high as they have and set their stall out as they want to go up. They have good attacking players, but we feel we can deal with them.”
Redbridge have already faced Takeley once this season, going down 2-0 at home in August, and should have a better idea of what to expect.
But Eaton says knowing how to deal with your opponents means nothing if you are unable to do so.
“We learnt a lot from that game, but it’s one thing working on it in training and another to put it into practice,” he added.
“We have a couple of players missing and Takeley will start as favourites, but we are hopeful of coming away with something.”
Against Ilford, Eaton’s side suffered a further blow after goalkeeper Jake Mernaga was sent off for a foul in the box.
It will still be a couple of weeks before that suspension kicks in, which means Mernaga is still available to make the trip to Takeley.
And even when his ban does kick in, Eaton says there is enough strength in depth at Redbridge to cope between the sticks.
“It’s not the end of the world as we have another goalkeeper on our books already, so there isn’t as much pressure to bring another in,” he said.
• Redbridge are running free coaching sessions every Saturday for children aged between seven and 16.
There are two sessions, with seven to 10-year-olds going first from 9.30am until 10.30am, with a second session for 11 to 16-year-olds running from 10.30am until 11.30am, both at the Motormen’s Oakside Stadium ground in Station Road, Barkingside.
All abilities are welcome at the mixed gender sessions, with those taking part grouped depending on which year they are in at school.
All coaches are FA qualified, CRB checked and are First Aid trained.
For all enquiries, please contact Redbridge’s head of youth, Tony McGrath, on 07971 108802.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.