Essex Senior League: Redbridge go top, Barkinside win and Ilford suffer another defeat

PUBLISHED: 18:43 25 March 2018 | UPDATED: 18:43 25 March 2018

Calvin Poku of Redbridge scores the winning goal against FC Romania and celebrates with his team (Pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Calvin Poku of Redbridge scores the winning goal against FC Romania and celebrates with his team (Pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Redbridge defeated one of their promotional rivals Takeley 3-0 to go top of the Essex Senior League table.

A brace from Thomas Gogo and another from Brian Moses sealed the three points for the Motormen at the Oakside Stadium.

The hosts broke the deadlock after 14 minutes through the club’s top goal scorer Brian Moses, where Reside Coxi-Sebastfao, his deep cross was knocked back down to Moses, and his lose shot crept through Yates in the Takeley goal and into the net.

Redbridge doubled their lead through Gogo, running past two defenders before firing into the far corner brilliantly.

Then a crazy few minutes happened around the 70th minute mark when Redbridge forward Moses and Takeley’s Powell were involved in an altercation inside the box, both were subsequently sent off, and Redbridge were awarded a penalty.

Gogo sent Yates the wrong way and the hosts had sealed an important three points in the process, whilst for Takeley defeat sees them now 24 points off top spot with seven games in hand.

Neighbours Barkingside came from behind early on to net a 3-1 win against Stansted at Hargrave Park to put some daylight between them and the bottom four.

The hosts went in front after just three minutes thanks to a header at the back post by Ryan Ramsey, however the visitors managed to level in the 14th minute through new signing Rob Hodgson after poor defending from the hosts.

Midway through the second half the hosts went down to ten men after violent conduct, and then saw the visitors compound this by going on to score moments after through Aaron Lesta and turn this one around.

Side increased their lead from a Raphael Duyile penalty after a poor tackle inside the box and seal the deal in the process, meaning they are now 15th, four points above the bottom four.

Rivals Ilford suffered a 3-1 win against Enfield as they made it five wins on the bounce.

The visitors took a 14th minute lead and then doubled this just two minutes later when Odukoya netted for the visitors after being played in by Barrett, however the hosts then pulled one back in the 24th minute to reduce the arrears after they were awarded a penalty for handball.

In the 68th minute Enfield restored their two goal cushion through Spencer after Bradbury had fired in a corner and this was enough for the visitors to claim all three points, whilst The Foxes remain ninth after this defeat.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder