Essex Senior League: Redbridge boss Ricky Eaton frustrated with Waltham Forest draw

PUBLISHED: 15:00 10 April 2018

Redbridge joint-manager Ricky Eaton (Pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Redbridge joint-manager Ricky Eaton (Pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Redbridge joint-manager Ricky Eaton is frustrated that his side could have cost themselves the Essex Senior League title with a 4-4 draw against Waltham Forest.

The Motormen conceded a stoppage time equaliser as they dropped two points at home to

Waltham Forest in a remarkable afternoon at Oakside.

Two Coxi-Sebastfao goals and a Calvin Poku strike just before half time had the hosts cruising at 3-0 up at the break, however Forest surged back in the second-half thanks to a Christian Owusu double but then Phillip Browne Bamfpoe make it 4-2 to the hosts.

Forest pulled one back through Tony DaSilva with eight minutes to go and then three minutes into stoppage time Owusu completed his hat-trick and salvaged what could be a very important point for the visitors in their battle against the drop, whilst for Redbridge it could be a damaging goal in the battle for the title and promotion.

“From a manager’s point of view it’s really frustrating,” Eaton said.

“For the neutral it was a really good game, Redbridge obviously 3-0 up should be able to see the game out against anyone in the league, but for some reason or another we lost a couple goals within a minute of each other.

“It was 3-2, we were on the ropes, the boys were panicking and we then made it back up to 4-2.

“The game management of the players just wasn’t good enough on the day and you’ve got to give it to Waltham Forest they kept plugging away.

“We should have been out of sight but it ended up being 4-4 and it’s put a massive dent in our title chances.”

The former London Bari boss believes Forest’s hard work paid off for them but admits he wasn’t pleased with his men.

“It did, but it’s more that everything we spoke about at half-time didn’t happen, we said don’t take your foot off accelerator, keep pressing them and get the next goal, but before you know it, it was 3-2 and game on.

“Credit to them they done really well, I don’t think over the whole game they deserved a point, but for their work rate, effort and desire to not give up they deserved it.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder