Essex Senior League: Barkingside beaten at FC Romania in fiery six-goal thriller

PUBLISHED: 09:30 13 October 2016

Barkingside manager Gus Gulfer (George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Barkingside manager Gus Gulfer (George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Gursel Gulfer’s men left disappointed after conceding two late goals on a night when they had several people red carded

Barkingside endured a frustrating evening at FC Romania in the Essex Senior League last night.

Side took an early lead at Theobalds Lane, however the hosts hit back and finished 4-2 winners on a fiery evening in Cheshunt.

Ernest Ajammah Okoh put the visitors in front after just eight minutes, but FC Romania levelled and then went ahead before half time.

Daryl Bryan-Samuels continued his impressive form for Barkingside by levelling the scorers in the 52nd minute with a fine goal.

But Gursel Gulfer’s team were soon to feel aggrieved when the hosts were awarded a penalty late on.

The referee didn’t see the incident inside the area, but the linesman did and insisted a spot-kick was warranted.

FC Romania converted the penalty before adding a second and Side’s cause wasn’t helped by receiving two red cards.

Leon Smith and Jason Ajoodha both received their marching orders during the match before Gulfer was reported to have been sent off as well by the referee.

It capped a frustrating night for Barkingside after an excellent 3-1 victory at Waltham Forest on Saturday.

After the loss they remain eighth in the table with 24 points from their first 15 matches this season.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder