Dramatic end as Ellul strikes late to seal big Barkingside win

PUBLISHED: 09:00 15 April 2014

Joe Ellul scored a late winner for Barkingside as they effectively sealed their spot in the Ryman One North for next season. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Joe Ellul scored a late winner for Barkingside as they effectively sealed their spot in the Ryman One North for next season. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ryman One North: Barkingside 4 Waltham Forest 3

A dramatic injury time saw Barkingside effectively seal their place in the Ryman One North for next season, and condemn Waltham Forest to relegation.

Side trailed 2-0 at half time, but produced an almighty comeback to twice take the lead, with Joe Ellul once again scoring late – but having sealed a vital point against Chatham Town a fortnight ago – this time he sealed the victory, which means Wroxham have to win their remaining three games to pip Matt Frew’s side to safety.

Barkingside’s final midweek home game at Oakside, before leaving for Ilford FC’s Cricklefield Stadium next season, saw them start on top as a Calvin Poku shot went just wide of the target.

But despite the strong start, L’Heureux Menga sprung the offside trap for the Stags and he managed to convert from the tightest of angles.

Former Redbridge player Stephen Ikumelo was then denied at point-blank range from home goalkeeper Chris Clark, before Menga fired the rebound well over.

And the Stags survival hopes were boosted further when they scored a second before the break as a pinpoint cross found Lee Scott in the box, who took one touch to bring the ball down before turning a defender and shooting past Clark.

At the start of the second half Barkingside’s Matt Waldron and Menga scrapped, with both going into the referee’s notebook as things began to turn scrappy.

Barkingside tried to find a way back into the game, and having enjoyed plenty of pressure, finally did so when Steve Carvell’s shot took a wicked deflection past Ferhat Husseyin to give the hosts hope.

Former Forest player Waldron would then prove to be their nemesis as he had time and space to direct a header past Husseyin to level things with 16 minutes remaining.

Barkingside went in search of the winner and struck the bar from distance, before Poku shot wide when well placed.

And in what proved to be a hectic finale, substitute Lewis Francis found himself unmarked in the box and he headed past Husseyin to put Frew’s outfit in front.

The drama was not over though as Forest levelled when sub Richard Worrell played in Immanuel Perry and he fired home first time past Clark for what looked like being a late equaliser.

However, the Stags hadn’t learnt their lesson as this time Ellul headed goalwards, and though Husseyin saved the initial effort, Ellul fired the rebound home to seal a late, dramatic win.

Barkingside: Clark, Hayes, Rolls, Callaway, Waldron, Ellul, Edmunds, Carvell, Taylor, Gulfer, Poku.

Substitutes: Ellis, Francis, Liddiard, Matthews, Pitman.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder