Dereham success delights Side boss Frew

PUBLISHED: 16:00 25 February 2015

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Cricklefield manager Matt Frew reflects on 2-1 away win and half time instructions

Calvin Poku netted again for Barkingside (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Calvin Poku netted again for Barkingside (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside manager Matt Frew hailed his side after they pulled off a brilliant 2-1 win at play-off chasing Dereham Town last night in Ryman North.

Side went ahead in the first half through Greg Akpele, but Jay Eastoe-Smith equalised for the Magpies 20 minutes into the second period.

Calvin Poku’s deflected strike eight minutes from time ensured the visitors were able to take home all three points and leave Frew satisfied.

He also praised last night’s matchwinner for taking on his half time instructions at Aldiss Park.

“I was delighted with the performance and all the boys were top notch, I couldn’t fault anyone,” said Frew.

“Calvin has taken on the instruction I said at half time about using the wind and shooting when you have an opportunity.

“He has hit it and it has taken a wicked deflection, but it was on target and that is the main thing. It has hit one of their players and the keeper is already down and he hasn’t got time to get back up and it has gone in.”

Side didn’t have it all their own way against Dereham and were punished after the break for starting the second half poorly.

Frew wasn’t happy with the goal they let in either, adding: “We conceded from a set piece and a few of the boys said it could have been a foul. But it was disappointing to concede from a set piece.

“We were creating a couple of good chances in the first half and I said at half time the wind is playing a big part and it is with us now so we need to keep going and make it count.

“But the first 10-15 minutes of the second half we didn’t do what we had been doing in the first half and we sat back.”

Fortunately Barkingside did take advantage eventually and Poku’s winner means they have won their last four matches.

Last night was the first time Frew had been back in the dug-out as well, after taking a new approach following his return from a short break.

“The three games before yesterday I had picked the team, but sat in the stands,” he revealed.

“But I had to go in the dug-out last night because we had no coaches or physio because we left too early for them to get here so it was just me and the subs.

“I was just relaxed and sat back and watched the game. I am taking a different approach and it is working at the moment.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder