Barkingside regret missed chances

PUBLISHED: 10:03 07 December 2014 | UPDATED: 10:03 07 December 2014

Barkingside players huddle before kick-off (pic: Alex Mandelstam)

Barkingside players huddle before kick-off (pic: Alex Mandelstam)


Ryman North: Barkingside 1 Cray 1

Frustrated Barkingside were made to regret missed chances as honours finished even at Cricklefield Stadium.

With both teams in poor form this season and struggling towards the bottom of the table a close encounter was expected.

Calvin Poku opened the scoring for the hosts, taking his goal tally to nine, but Cray levelled with a controversial penalty as Barkingside felt the foul had occured outside the 18-yard box.

Only four minutes had been played when Barkingside captain Matt Gulfer fizzed the first shot on goal after some promising passing play from the home side.

That good play early on paid off in the sixth minute when striker Poku chested down a long ball from the defence into the path of Gulfer who played a first time through ball for Poku to apply the finish.

Lively Wanderers striker Laurent Hamici seemed to be the visitor’s best hope of a goal and one seemed imminent as he held off defender Matt Waldron before firing a low shot at Chris Clark.

Moments later i,n the 26th minute, Waldron was beaten in the air by Hamici, who sent a stinging shot towards Barkingside keeper Clark who held it well.

A Barkingside free-kick from Gulfer on 34 minutes was glanced on by the head of Joe Ellul and whispered past the post, as the home side’s missed chances were starting to pile.

But on 38 minutes, good play on the right from Cray led to a penalty when a cross was initially forced away, but then found its way to Hussein Isa.

The winger took on Josh Akpaka, who stuck a leg out and fouled Isa, and the referee decided the tackle was inside the box and pointed to the spot.

Akpaka received a yellow card for his foul before Hamici slammed home his penalty to Clark’s right.

Barkingside made an exciting start to the second half, with smart passing in midfield leading to Joe Bricknell volleying from 25 yards and forcing the keeper to tip the shot on to the bar before gathering the ball.

Dion Polius then intercepted a hostile back pass and found Poku but he failed to hit the target with his shot.

On 70 minutes Steve Carvell was replaced by Lewis Francis, who brought some energy as he bombed down the wing on the counter-attack but failed to connect with Poku to put him through on goal.

Barkingside’s final change of the game came as Ellul pulled up for treatment and was unable to continue and was replaced by Andy Edmunds.

It summed up a frustrating afternoon for Matt Frew’s men, who welcome local rivals Romford to Cricklefield Stadium tomorrow (Monday).

Barkingside: Clark, Hayes, Apaka, Ellul (Edwards), Waldron, Cossington, Dolius, Bricknell, Carvell (Francis), Gulfer, Poku. Unused Subs Davie, Kabashi, Pitman

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder