Barkingside on cloud nine in cup final

PUBLISHED: 09:35 11 May 2013 | UPDATED: 09:35 11 May 2013

Barkingside celebrate after winning the Essex Senior League Cup final against Bowers at Rush Green (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside celebrate after winning the Essex Senior League Cup final against Bowers at Rush Green (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Essex Senior League Cup final: Barkingside 9 Bowers 1

Barkingside capped a fantastic season by winning the Essex Senior League Cup after demolishing Bowers at Rush Green Stadium.

Reece Cosson was the star of the show, scoring four times, as Matt Frew’s side found themselves 4-0 up at the break and added a further five goals in the second half.

Before Cosson had opened the scoring in the 16th minute, Joe Ellul had three good opportunities to give Side the lead but failed to find the net.

Cosson’s first came after lovely build up play between Ellul and Richard Oxby. Ellul chested the ball down to Oxby, and he perfectly passed into Cosson who poked home.

His second followed soon after, as he found himself through on goal and rounded Doyle before tapping into the empty net to make it 2-0 with 27 minutes played.

Ellul got his name on the scoresheet but had his team mates to thank.

Cosson raced down the left and his cross was flicked goalwards by Garbriel Onireti for Ellul to tap home virtually on the goal line.

And in the third minute of injury time Cosson completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

It was all his own work for the penalty too as he ran into the box, before being hacked down by Jack Blackwell.

After a short delay sCosson ent Doyle the wrong way to complete a memorable opening half.

Side made it 5-0 less than a minute after the restart as Cosson tapped home his fourth of the night and 16th of the season after Ellul headed down with keeper Doyle in no mans land.

Cosson then turned provider as his cross was deflected into Bowers net by skipper Nathan Collins to make it 6-0, after brilliant play by Onireti who broke clear after defending a corner.

Bowers pulled one back in the 54th minute thanks to left-back Dale Gladen, who knocked the ball past Leigham Stone from a corner.

But Side scored their seventh just past the hour when Ellul’s fantastic header rebounded off a post and hit Doyle before rolling into the net.

Man of the match Cosson was replaced by Mark Steadman, who netted Side’s eighth goal following a long throw-in.

But Side were still not finished as Ellul bagged his second of the game in the 80th minute with a towering header at the far post, following a George Tubey free-kick to round off a remarkable night and a superb season.

Barkingside: Stone, Tubey, Kavanagh, Suchley, Cooper, Calloway, Onireti (Cornhill 70), Cosson (Steadman 61), Ellul, Oxby, King (Correll-Cooper 73).

Unused subs: Matthews, Ramsey

Attendance: 341.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists