Barkingside maintain fine run with Tilbury win

PUBLISHED: 11:17 30 March 2014 | UPDATED: 13:14 30 March 2014

Steve Carvell (right, bottom) and Calvin Poku (right, top) scored in their 3-0 win over Tilbury yesterday. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Steve Carvell (right, bottom) and Calvin Poku (right, top) scored in their 3-0 win over Tilbury yesterday. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Ryman One North: Barkingside 3 Tilbury 0

In a game which Barkingside knew was extremely important to win and was viewed as one of nine cup finals by manager Matt Frew, the players flourished under pressure to secure a third successive home win.

Barkingside produced a top display and were solid at the back, but it was their threat on the break that caused Tilbury the most problems.

The game had made a really sloppy start until the sixth minute when a ball over the top fell to Steve Carvell who chipped the ball over goalkeeper James Marrable and into the corner of the net.

The next opportunity came in the 17th minute when a shot nearly went in from outside the box but Marrable managed to parry it over.

Barkingside were beginning to get sloppy and goalkeeper Chris Clark kept on kicking the ball out of play due to the windy conditions, and in the 33rd minute he nearly paid the price.

After Clark kicked the ball straight to Tilbury, the attacker burst into the box and was brought down, giving the away side a chance to level from the spot.

Piers Wixon stepped up and hit a terrible penalty which Clark easily saved.

Minutes later Tilbury came forward again with Ryan Blackman who drove into the area and forced a really good save from Clark, whose game was just starting to pick up.

Tilbury came out with the same intent in the second half when a miscued cross nearly went past Clark who tipped it over the bar.

Barkingside quickly broke when captain Matt Gulfer played a superb through ball to the impressive Calvin Poku who got into the Tilbury box and placed his right-footed shot into the back of the net.

The wind was really playing havoc with the game and it was sending corners behind the goal constantly and nearly sent one straight in, but Clark just managed to prevent it.

Barkingside began to press for a third goal and only a double save from Marrable after a goalmouth scramble denied them, and they even smashed a shot against the post as the ball was cleared.

The momentum was building and in the 84th minute the pressure finally paid off when they won a penalty.

Substitute Lewis Francis showed a great turn of pace from just inside the Tilbury half and was fouled by the defender. Gulfer stepped up and put it into the bottom left hand corner to seal the victory and a big three points for the Oakside outfit.

Barkingside manager Matt Frew was naturally delighted with the win.

“We have really picked up our form and now we have eight cup finals ahead of us,” said Frew.

“You could see that we had a lot of pace, and that showed when Lewis Francis had come on and won the penalty.”

Barkingside: Clark, Oxby, Rolls, Ellul (Mackin 87), Ellis, Suchley (Callaway 78), Waldron, Carvell, Poku, Gulfer, Taylor (Francis 80)

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder