Barkingside boss Frew makes his mark

PUBLISHED: 11:01 29 March 2015 | UPDATED: 11:01 29 March 2015

Barkingside boss Matt Frew heads clear against Aveley (pic:

Barkingside boss Matt Frew heads clear against Aveley (pic:


Ryman North: Aveley 0 Barkingside 2

Barkingside boss Matt Frew (right) returned to playing in his side's 2-0 win at Aveley (pic: boss Matt Frew (right) returned to playing in his side's 2-0 win at Aveley (pic:

Barkingside boss Matt Frew returned to action after a three-year break to help his relegation-threatened side to a surprise win at Mill Field.

Frew had threatened to get his boots on again following a 5-1 thumping at Romford in midweek and stayed true to his word, helping preserve a clean sheet against Justin Gardner’s men, who had thrashed Redbridge 7-0 in midweek.

Billy Holland hit the post from an early corner for the hosts, while Rigers Kabashi had Barkingside’s first attempt at goal on 18 minutes and fired wide.

Jack Stevenson’s wind-assisted effort almost got past Chris Clark before Aveley produced a fine move on 28 minutes only to see a cross elude Danny Francis.

Barkingside clear their lines against Aveley (pic: clear their lines against Aveley (pic:

The deadlock was broken three minutes into the second half when a ball over the top of the Millers defence found Jason Fontaine and he produced a delightful chip over the head of James Marrable, who was making his 100th appearance for Aveley.

Calvin Poku missed the target two minutes later and then sent a header straight at Marrable as Barkingside looked for a decisive second goal.

But the visitors had Chris Clark to thank for a good save on the hour that kept out Stevenson’s free-kick after a foul on Lamar Reynolds.

Aveley had claims for a penalty waved away midway through the second half when Reynolds went down in the box and, to make matters worse, the striker was booked.

Barkingside's Dan Cossington gets in a tackle against Aveley (pic:'s Dan Cossington gets in a tackle against Aveley (pic:

Clark pushed Sammy Knott’s shot over on 68 minutes, while Marrable kept out another Poku attempt with six minutes remaining.

And Frew made way for Liam Burgess moments later in what turned out to be an inspired change as the substitute got on the end of a cross to tuck home Barkingside’s second on 87 minutes.

Victory leaves Frew’s men two points from safety, with two games in hand on Romford after their 2-1 loss at Cray.

Barkingside are set to welcome Brightlingsea Regent to Cricklefield Stadium on Monday and could climb out of the relegation zone with another win.

Barkingside: Clark, Adebayo, Akapka, Frew (Burgess 86), Waldron, Cossington, Taylor, Davie, Fontaine (Weemes 74), Poku, Kabashi (Francis 64).

Unused subs: Tranter, Pitman.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder